Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bike for the wife?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we went out to the dunes today and she rode my raptor and she came back and said " I just love to jump that was so much fun."

So I am really not sure what to get her now. She says I am starting to get used to the raptor, but she says it is still probably too much for her, but the 400 sounds like it might be the ticket. The only thing I don't like is the lack of reverse. I am not sure. The warrior might be better because of reverse, but it is kind of heavy compared. I just am not sure. She says she wants something that can do everything the raptor can, just not quite as big!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to get her one bike that will last and not have to upgrade in a year or two. I will have to do some more looking and see what we can fine.

I thank you all for your input and help, keep any info coming

Paul

Old 09-29-2001, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Well, i would go for the warrior. IT is a do anything quad with out a dout. the 250ex, i dunno. The clutch on the warrior is easy to use and does not have much pull. Warrior will last for about 10 years if taken care of. After 10 years you need to rebuild and ride some more. If all else fails you could get a Wolvy. Just like the warrior but a 4x4. Once i saw a wolvy with 4 rear paddle tires on it at the dunes. Looked awsome and did great.

Old 09-29-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

OK. If she had fun on your Raptor, she would really like the 400. I keep up with my hubby no problem, it's a straight and fun jumper, and it's pretty darn light for a quad. I don't miss reverse - chances are she won't know what she's missing if she never gets used to it. I like my hubby's Raptor, but it's a little too heavy for my comfort. And you can put a 440 kit in the 400 if she craves more power after a while!

Good luck - let us know what you guys get!

Old 09-30-2001, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Again I say the 400ex. Good power, class leading handling, great legs, what more do you want. Oh reverse, won't miss what you never had!!!

Old 09-30-2001, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

I bought a second Raptor for my g/f to ride...

She hadn't ever been on a quad on her life before, but she took to it like nothing was going to stop her.

One reason I went with the Raptor was size, she's tall (5'11&quot and needed something bigger. Lots of people say that I shouldn't have gotten her such a powerful bike, but many people said women could handle power better than men, cause they aren't crazy dare devil types. I would have to agree with the ladder, she rides at her pace, but she really likes the power. Another good thing is if we ever go to the sand dunes, she'll do great on a raptor, plenty of power to go up and down the sand hills.

Over all, get her what SHE wants, she'll be happy then. My g/f wanted a raptor like mine, so thats what I did.

Now all I have to hear about is how mines faster cause I have the big gun pipe and other toys.. (she's never gonna be happy.. lol)

And remember, if she's already taking to a raptor, down grading to a 250cc 4-stroke is going to be really boring!

Brad

Old 09-30-2001, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

My wife loves her Raptor and if you even tried to take her Big Gun exhaust system off you would have a fight on your hands. The power comes on smooth and strong with no surprises and she has plenty of power to get her up any of the dunes she wants to point that thing at.

Old 09-30-2001, 01:50 PM
Range Rover

Ever consider a Blaster? It's a decent bike and fairly cheap.

Old 09-30-2001, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

I considered a blaster and she sat on one and did not like the feel of it. Just said she thought it felt kind of small. You know women, hard to please them. She is leaning toward the 400. I am too.

Paul

Old 09-30-2001, 07:37 PM
wyd
Range Rover

The EX400 is a nice bike but it is light in the front and pulls the wheels off the ground alot when going up hills. I watched many do that, so becuase they wanted to and some because it just was light and came up on them.

Warrior is nice as well, not quit as light in the front and had reverse. The Wolverine is also killer but is 4wd but very light and agile as well. Both can jump well but not quite like the EX400.

The EX300 is very nice as well. Not quite as much power as the 400 but nice smooth power.

It is always hard when buying a new machine. Just let her get what she likes or you will hear it that you said she should get this stuff. At least if she picks the machine it is her fault if she don't like.

Old 10-01-2001, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

Reasons to get her her own Raptor:
1. She rode yours and had a blast.
2. all the power she'll ever need. Lesser quads struggle in the sand.
3. Has reverse (Honda: are you listening?). This is a big deal for my wife.
4. Barely heavier than a 400ex (check the specs!)
5. As nimble as a 400ex. (I own both).

Quick Reply: Bike for the wife?