Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor K&N Air Filter Information.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001 | 08:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Has anybody seen the Raptor K&N filter? Not the one that you use with the Pro Flow Kit, I'm talking about thr one that basicly bolts on without making any modifications. I would like to know if anybody has this setup. I inspected one on monday and it seems to me that it with it the Pro Flow Kit is not necesary. It is solid and seems to eliminate all the worries that the stock filter can cause. When it is placed in the Air box it goes into place tightly and you can easily tell if its correctly placed. The airbox lid seems almost unnecesary, but obviously for safety measures must be placed even if the filter seems to fit snuggly and perfectly. The only thing I can say is that it does seem a little small. Can anybody comment on this? Please, serious posts only.

Old 10-02-2001 | 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

If you are riding in sandy areas I would go with the foam filter style like a pro-design set up.

Old 10-03-2001 | 12:13 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

That is interesting. WHy would you say that? Give me more info.

Old 10-03-2001 | 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I too would be interested in why you think a foam filter would be any better in a sandy area then a properly mounted K&N

Old 10-03-2001 | 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have the K&N for the stock airbox and have run four times at the dunes and twice at a track. Just cleaned it for the first time and it wasn't all that bad. Had pantyhose over it and that seemed to help alot. You have to run the lid, but mine is just drilled out. It is alot tighter fit then the stock filter. There wasn't a grain of sand in my carb boots... none, notta!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2001 | 09:58 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I have never actually heard anybody say, that a foam filter is better than the K&N filter if you ride in the sand? I am not saying that it isn't true, but it doesen't make any sense logic wise. If it is better than I sure would like to know why because I still have the stock foam filter and would like to replace it. I ride many times in very dusty areas which is worse than sand. My idea was something like what Airraptor has, get the K&N filter and later you can drill some holes in the top of the airbox lid or something like that. Basicly where I am getting at is that I was thinking of buying the pro filter kit with the K&N filter which goes for about $140 or so, but after inspectiong the K&N filter for the Raptor this kit seems unnecesarry. I think the K&N filter basicly solves the filter problem and you only have to spend around $40. And like Airraptor said you can always modify the airbox to allow more air to go in and the filter will definately be safely in place, no worries. I still find the filter a little small.
Airraptor, did you notice any difference when you installed the K&N filter, before modifying the airbox? Or did you install the filter and modify the box the same day without first trying it out?
Keep writing in people, this is a interesting topic that could save many Raptor owner at least $100. Any help will be apreciated. What setups do you have, experiences, etc.

Old 10-03-2001 | 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

I run the K&N with an outerwear.

Old 10-03-2001 | 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Just installed the K and N and it really flows...but i am running an outwear..i am going to run a 150 and a 155 main now cause she definlty leaned out. Might even have to go with a 160. we'll see

Old 10-03-2001 | 04:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I am not a air filter expert I believe but to me just placing a K&N filter on the stock airbox won't make you run lean like some people here are stating. please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that the filter itself isn't the one restricting the airflow into the motor. Therefore changing to a K&N filter, or any other for that matter, wont really change anything unleas you make some sort of mod to the airbox, to allow more air into the airbox. This is very interesting because if the people that are stating that by only changing to an K&N filter, they had to change the jetting, then my theory is just plain wrong if there have been no modifications besides the K&N filter. I really don't think that the K&N filter will ofer less restriction thatn the stock filter, especially when the stock filter is a foam one, I think the K&N is just more durable and probably easier to clean, and solves the misplacement of the filter problem. Anybody can correct me if I'm wrong, but give us some info as to why? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2001 | 04:38 PM
Range Rover

The K&N does flow more air than stock But not much. If you run an outerware
it flows about the same as stock. There is really not much difference in the 2
except cleaning,durability,fit and preference.I have a raptor with a k&n , outerware,K&N jett kt,baffles cut out, split fire plug,and a big gun race exhaust.You have to do the whole set up to get the most power out of the raptor.

Quick Reply: Raptor K&N Air Filter Information.