Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WOLVERINE AXLE

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-1999, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got on this page and noticed that alot of people have had bent axle's. I too have a Wolverine 99 and had my axle get bent my first two weeks of owning it. I took it to the dealer and he replaced it, I asked him if this was a common problem with the Wolverine and he said it was very unusual. He said he had never seen one bent or heard of being bent before. Well with this problem I think Yamaha definately has a deffective part. And as much money as we spent on the ATV I think they should replace everybody's axle with a quality one for free.

Old 12-07-1999, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

I bent my rear axle on the first outing. I wasn't even jumping the darn thing. If you look at Yamaha's poor design, you'll notice just how far that axle tapers down. I rode that wobbly bike for another 3 hrs and still had a ton of fun. When I got home, I lifted the bike with a forklift and heated the axle cherry red with a torch. With the tire and hub removed, I was able to use a pipe sleeved over the splines to bend it back to shape. Because its full time four wheel drive, you gotta lift it in order to spin that axle and watch for deviation. I'm not kidding, It is as straight as new and cost me nothing. As for the concern of weakening the tempered axle, yeah, potentially but if it breaks, it breaks. I have been riding it hard for 13 months and have had no problems. I'll replace it with an aftermarket axle if it bens again beyond repair. Sounds like you have a pretty fair dealer, Mine wouldn't even consider making a warranty claim. Good luck.

Old 12-07-1999, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I left my Wolverine with the dealer fo a week. I am almost willing to bet that he bent mine back to shape as well. I have been riding it for a year since and it hasn't bent yet. I think I will do the same as you, and buy an aftermarket if it happens again. Other than the axle the only other problem I have had is a stick tore through the front cv boot. I need to buy a protector for those.