Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Want a Grizzly...Talk me out of a Rubicon!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'll have money in hand this spring, and I'm already on my second Yamaha quad. 87 Warrior, 92 Big Bear 4x4. Both have been great machines with minimal problems. I'm ready to step up to the big bore 4x4 world, and really liked the Grizzly....then this Honda Rubicon comes along. As you can see from the years of my previous machines I keep them for a long time. Help me on this one! TF

Old 12-10-1999, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

If you have been happy with your Yamahas stick with them. As far as the Rubicon gos, it isn't out yet , so no one can give you an honest opinion of it yet. It does sound awfuly good from what i've read though. If any manufacturer can get it right on the first atempt its Honda. Just my two cents. Later Bob.

Old 12-10-1999, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Tailfeathers, this is a tough call. If you really like Yamaha and that's what you want, then go with them. If you are going to have the money in spring, then I would definitely study what's on the market at the time though. I really think the Grizzly is going to get some updates next year, maybe liquid cooling?, and the Polaris big bores are gonna be even bigger big bores. Then the Rubicon of course. You should wait for the fourwheeler magazines to test the Rubicon because they will test it before it is even in the showrooms or they will possibly test a pre-production model. This will give you an idea if it's the kind of machine you want, if everything holds up on it, and maybe the price will be revealed soon. It's your call, but I would definitely say to hold on to your money and see what everyone comes out with for 2001!

Old 12-10-1999, 10:34 PM
Range Rover

No chance!

I'm waiting to try the Rubicon out Myself.

Great Day

Y2K

Old 12-11-1999, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

If you like electrical problems buy the Grizzly. I know since my 1999 Grizzly is in the shop for stalling out in reverse. The only thing that I don't like about the new Honda is-that it stays in 4 wheel drive all the time. There are times when I prefer 2wd, and other times that I want 4wd. Its a tough choice.

Old 12-11-1999, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer

Go with the Honda, there track record speaks for its self....

------------------
Talk to ya later, Scott

2000 Honda Rancher RIDING THE BEST ON EARTH

Old 12-11-1999, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 Grizzly and I am currently highly unimpressed. I live and ride in South Florida and use my Grizzly mostly for hunting. Three of the people I hunt with also own Grizzlys. Our problem is that slow riding that also consists of starting and stopping forging through swamps causes the Grizzly to heat up and then the fuel in the carb actually boils and vapor locks causing the bike to spit and sputter this usually happens in the worse possible places. I also own a Honda 450S which is a 1998 my son rides the same places and the honda does find. The honda has never been back to the dealer except for normal maintenance. When the Rubicon hits the market my Grizzly is history.

Old 12-13-1999, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

These responses from Grizzly owners are the best measuring stick. I have had the so hot the thing runs poorly routine with my Big Bear as well. My riding is 80% crawling along muddy woodland trails getting to my deer stands, 20% running logging roads. Slow speed temperatures are important, and liquid cooling should help, but I'm worried about cold weather & liquid cooling, (Minnesota). As I said before this may be the last machine I buy for quite some time, and I want it to be 500cc or bigger and reliable. TF

Old 12-13-1999, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well, i just bought a grizzly and i live in Quebec Canada. We have very diverse climate and terrain. I just bought a 2000 Grizzly and love the power, it is awesome. I am currently breaking it in, in the cold weather and it is running superbly. I know a few guys who have them and love them. Low maintenance and very powerful with 2wd option is the best.
Hope this helps.
I might have waited for the Honda if it would of had the 2wd option. The only thing that concerns me is it will have alot more moving parts, and that means repair eventually. It has an option for instance to go automatic or have the option of gears. And we all heard of the new tranny, lots more seals too.
I hope they are sure of what they are doing. The Grizzly has been out now for 3 years and has little problems compared to well other makes like i won't say because we all know which one.

Old 12-13-1999, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had a foreman 400 for a number of years and have had numers problems mostly because of the user not the atv. I used to use it for mostly hunting and playing in the mud. It handled anything and everything!!!
I could not find a place it would not take me. I liked the power it just needed a taller gear for running the roads. Now I have a warrior that I use to play on. If I were to buy another "utility"(i use the term losely as not to offend anyone)I would without hesitation buy a Honda. I have read about the Rubicon and am considering buying one just to have it. In my experence with honda I don't think the put anything new out unless it has been well tested.Besides I don't put much merit in the magizine reviews opinion because the people they review are the same people that pay their bills!! Honda has never been the cheepest to buy or repair (kinda like maytag) But I feel they are the "best on earth" I love Yamaha , I love my Warrior, But when it comes to work I'll buy a Honda. As far as the problem people have with all the time 4-wheel, I never had any malfunction and loved it, it is LESS moving parts and one less thing you have to stop and do in the middle of a bog,although I am glad they changed the limited-slip.I love the way the ride and the comfort level of the seat.
Anyway that is my two-cents worth.
maddog357

Quick Reply: Want a Grizzly...Talk me out of a Rubicon!