Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Yamaha Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a 2000 Banshee but I heard you have to keep the wound out so it doesn't foul the plugs. I mean I know that you can't bog it way down like you can a 4-stroke. But how far can you take it down before if fouls the plugs.

Old 12-13-1999, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As with any two stroke, the Banshee should be "cleaned out" when riding. This required occasional full throttle/high rpm. There isn't much power at low rpm, so I doubt you'd be spending much time there. "Bogging" it like a four stroke is pretty much a waste. There's no reason to ride the Banshee like that all the time. If that's what you want to do, then you're buying the wrong quad. Get a 400EX instead. For regular trail riding, it's not going to be a problem. Just give it a blast or two down a straightaway and the plugs won't foul.

I've had the same plugs in my Banshee for a year now and it still runs fine. Anyone who says that two strokes foul plugs all the time, must not have had their motor jetted properly, or they had another mechanical problem. Either that or they don't know what they are talking about.

Old 12-13-1999, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2-stroke Polaris and it fouls plugs at regular intervals, probably once a month or so. I am pretty sure it is a jetting problem (too rich), but haven't taken the time to fix it for two reasons: plugs are cheap and they are easy to take off and put back on. On a Banshee, the cylinder heads seem easily accessible, so you shouldn't have a problem changing them if the foul.

Old 12-14-1999, 05:00 AM
Trailblazer

Depends on where and mostly on how you ride. If you are going to make tight turns in the woods, just make sure your RPM is up high enough coming out of the corner. If you slide it through the corner the RPM will stay high as a result of the wheel spin. When the bike straightens out and the wheels bite in, the nose will be in the air and you'll be grabbing the next gear. Doesn't sound like there is any low-end-bog-down problems here!

If you are seriously worried about it, get a 400EX and chug around on that thing.

The other posters are right... fouling is usually the result of an improperly tuned machine. Assuming a rider on a properly tuned machine has big enough Kahunahs to stay in the gas!!

Old 12-14-1999, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys where I live I have a couple of big lanes probably about 1/4 mile long each. That would have to be where I clean it out. And I also have a small track with a couple of jumps in it. You think I would foul plugs in an area like this?

Old 12-14-1999, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys where I live I have a couple of big lanes probably about 1/4 mile long each. That would have to be where I clean it out. And I also have a small track with a couple of jumps in it. You think I would foul plugs in an area like this?

Old 12-15-1999, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

i own a 99 banshee for about4 months now and i have never fouled a plug yet i know u have to watch the gas level if it gets 2 low it will act like it is fouling the plugs , if u are rideing it a certain way

Old 12-15-1999, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

I don't know who/where these Banshee plug fouling problems come from??

When my girlfriend drove the Banshee for the first time, she chugged it around for at least 15 minutes. She didn't just chug it, she killed it in second and third gear a few times from running the rpms down so far. I got back on it and never had any troubles at all. I doubt you would be running your RPMS so low through a corner on your track that you would actually kill the motor!! Needless to say, I doubt you would ride it like that for a full 15 minutes!

Doesn't sound like fouling the plugs is your problem... I do wonder how often you could get the Banshee into sixth gear, riding in the terrain you described. This machine loves to go wide-open. It is one fun ride :-)

Old 12-15-1999, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys the place I would get it into sixth gear would be at my aunt and uncle's house they have this huge field that is where I take my Warrior to get it rolling in sixth gear. Man down there I could really get going .

Old 12-15-1999, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

I have had my 99 since the fall of 98 and have the original plugs in it from when I bought it. I sometimes ride slow through the woods for hours and have no problems. The only thing I would worry about is it getting warm if you aren't periodically moving fast enough to keep the water temp down. If it is jetted correctly I think plugs should last you just as long.

Quick Reply: 2000 Yamaha Banshee