Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior problems Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 09:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '94 Warrior with a Wiseco piston, white brothers cam, heavy duty valve springs, titanium valves, white bros porting, k&n filter, jet kit, SuperTrapp muffler, and 15/40 gearing. I ride at about 3000 feet above sea level most of the time. The problem is that the quad continually cuts out when I am on the gas. If I give it more gas it just dies. If I hold the gas steady it cuts in and out rapidly. This occurs anywhere from about 1/2 to full throttle. It doesn't happen all the time and seems to be worse the higher I go. It also occasionally backfires. I have had the parking brake removed along with the rev limiter with the parking brake engaged. To the best of my knowledge it is running too rich. This would explain the backfiring and the cutting out as far as I can see. Do I need to change my jetting? I don't know where the quad was initially jetted for because I am the third owner. Is this an accurate analysis based on my symptoms? Can a small change in elevation really affect it that much? The quad is an absolute rocket when it runs right. I have never come across a Warrior that could hang with it. I really need to figure this out. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2001, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey with my warrior i found that my spark plug witre will sometimes loosen itself up while im riding and i find it doin the same thing to me... but with the modifications u have it could be jetting....me and some buddies were out riding the othr day and we found out that if the parking brake is engaged even a little then it will run like that also so if u just disconnected the brake and didnt remove it u mite want to check that. i also read that if your reverse isnt grounded out properly it can have that effect

Old 10-11-2001, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

It does sound like your jetting. You would be suprised how sensitive these engines are. Any change in altitude will affect your jetting/mixture. I found this out by installing a new carb prejetted for an aftermarket pipe, it ran like crap until I installed a new pipe. that is a jetting difference of about 5 or 10 approx. It just takes time to experiement with the jets to get it right on.

Old 10-12-2001, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

how many jets are in my carb and which ones would i need to change? where are they located?

Old 10-13-2001, 01:04 AM
Range Rover

Lets start with the basics.
1. go buy a service manual for the Warrior, it will tell you most of what you need to know.
2. There are two jets and the needle inside the carb, pilot jet which is for idle to 1/8 throttle, needle position which is for 1/8 throttle to 3/4 throttle and the main jet which is for 3/4 throttle to wide open.
3. before you change anything, remove the carb. and diassemble it and clean it with carb cleaner blowing cleaner through all the passages.
4. spark plug color tells a bunch. Black is too much fuel, "rich" and very light tan with black specks on the insulator is too little fuel,"lean" and too hot. This will cook your piston. A nice tan color on the insulator is just right, dark tan is still O.K. since its indicating a little rich.
5. If it idles then its not the pilot jet. Most jetting is done with increasing or decreasing the main jet size or raising or lowering the needle position.
6. If you think its running rich, remove the air box lid and see if it runs better. If it runs better then you will have to decrease the main jet size since its getting too much fuel and removing the lid gave it more air.
7. If it stumbles when you first give it throttle at mid to slow engine speeds then it the needle position. Raise the needle up to give more fuel or lower it for less.
8. hope this helps, and good luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2001, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

4-Strokes are weird. Accually your motor is running lean. (not going to explain why) You must jet down. (agian, confusing yes) Other wise the topic has been covered.

Old 10-15-2001, 02:54 AM
Range Rover

I would appreciate it if you would expand on that. I can't figure out how it is possible that it would be running lean. How did you come to that conclusion?

Old 10-16-2001, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

I would appreciate it if you would expand on that. I can't figure out how it is possible that it would be running lean. How did you come to that conclusion?

Old 10-17-2001, 01:31 AM
Trailblazer

I always like trying the simplest things first. Did you check the reverse switch wire? For some reason it has a nasty habit of fouling up the electrical system dont know why i think its a ground problem i just got rid of mine along with the relay. I also think its running lean does it do it especially when you give it full throttle? A motor with to much fuel will simply blubber and not make any power. Its really hard to tell from just reading wat a person writes. You should try going from one extreme to the other first rich to insure you do not damage your motor, then lean. If it gets better, any better at either end then lean toward that rout off your jets. Another possible problem is the intake boot. If its cracked it acts just like wat you described. I replaced my whole intake system with a electron carb and i use an aluminum intake. My old carb did that same stuff it had a couple jets clogged from bad gas try that rout to. There are so many things that it could be.

Old 10-17-2001, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

Dunc_n,

I agree with the hillbilly on one point. CHECK THAT REVERSE WIRE! ground it and see if it fixes it.

As far as running lean, If you were lean, an upward change in elevation would improve things as there is less air and you would be effectively richening you mixture. You can also simulate that with the choke. However if you were rich the bike would just blubber worse the higher you got.

I ride my warrior from 5000 to 11,000 feet. at about 10,000 it gets blubbery (too rich) but it is still rideable. I suspect your problem is not jet related. But if you do fiddle with your jetting, err on the side of caution (rich) first.

ER

98 Chev 3/4 4X4 454

Quick Reply: Warrior problems Please Help!