Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee torque mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-1999, 10:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear from other Banshee owners about mods they think will give the best boost to the low end. I am considering many mods and would like to hear comments from other Banshee owners. The pipes I'm considering are Paul Turner Midrange pipes, Dynoport 2 into 1, and Motofast 2 into 1. Question, do cool heads help with low end power, and if so, which domes to use for a stock engine? How about reed spacers, do they work? How about boyeson reeds in the stock cage, I've heard that works good for bottom end too? I'm going to a 13T countershaft sprocket. Has anyone tried a 12T, is that too small, and would that damage the chain or wear it out too quickly? I do tight woods riding and need more bottom end. How about a flywheel weight? I'm not sure if two strokes even have flywheels. I don't really want to sacrifice any top end to gain on the bottom, but will if I must. Thanks for your help!

Bruce
2000 Banshee
99 400EX
99 Wolverine

Old 12-29-1999, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try a pro design intake with x-tra large boost bottle. And yes 2 strokes come w/ fly wheels. If you like woods type riding I am afraid you bought the wrong bike, a 4 stroke would have worked much better for your rinding style.

Old 12-29-1999, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I have fmf fatty woods pipes, fmf ram valves, boost bottle, and K&N filter and mine seems to have plenty of torque to crawl through the woods. The power comes on way lower than stock, but still has plenty of a hit on the top. Many people think the boysen reeds with stock cages are better than the fmfs, so I would get those to save money. For the most torque I have heard the 2 into 1s are the best, but sacrifice topend. I guess it just depends on what you want. I feel like I can torque it around slow or rev it out with my mods. I'm sure that whatever you decide on will give you a very noticeable improvement over the stock powerband.

Old 12-29-1999, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

adding a cool head with smaller domes will increase the compression and give you a bit more bottom end. I have a 13T sproket and reed spacers also. It has good bottom end. I spend all my time in the sand, but i did notice a significant difference.
I run at 4500 ft above sea level and they say 19 cc domes work, but dont do much drag racing. it will spin the crank. 20's should do well for you on a stock motor.
Good luck.

Old 01-03-2000, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

Try the dynoport 2 into 1 system. The powerband becomes wider and the pipe seems to take some of the whip out of the powerband too. Dont woory about gearing it!!!!Just put the pipe on, jet it, add a k@n filter, some new tires, and a set of boysen rad valves, and you will one great woods racer!!!!My banshee has the same mods ...with those mods you WILL not lose any power...you will just gain more low end and top speed!!!

Old 01-03-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

I recently visited Eric Gorr's web page, eric-gorr.com, and found some good information on 2-stroke powerbands. It gives tips on how to get a certain powerband characteristic.

To get more of a low-mid powerband and to gain torque, he has many suggestions. Dual-stage or .4mm fiberglass reed petals, fatty or torque pipes, short/small diameter silencers, flywheel weights, and higher compression ratios are some of his recommendations. Visit his web site and you will find valuable information.

Old 01-04-2000, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

I have a '98 Banshee with FMF woods pipes,Boyseen reeds in stock cage,K&N filter in vented box,12 tooth front sprocket,and 22 inch rear tires.

low end is great compared to stock,And with stock tires and gears I gained top speed.13 tooth is fine for stock size tires and o.k. for 22's.But I do alot of woods and hillclimbing and the 12 tooth made 2nd gear a better hill gear.Not to fast even when pegged and still able to lug if you need to...I had a boost bottle and took it off.It may have made a little more low end but it put in a serious hit when it came on the power up higher....Very dangerous on a steep hill.

Greg

Old 01-11-2000, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

use a 12 tooth sprocket if you like to shift, ALOT!!! dont' go there, it sux!

Old 01-19-2000, 12:31 AM
Range Rover

i own a 99 banshee and i got unifilter,boyesen reeds on the stock cage,2 size over stock domes on my cool head,power core 2 silencers, fmf fatty pipes, 280 jets , reed spacers all on my stock motor and it runs great oops almost forgot i also have the boost bottle

joe 99 banshee, 99 warrior

[This message has been edited by banshee97 (edited 01-18-2000).]