Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 ground clearance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read alot of posts about how superior the ground clearance is on the 660 Grizzly as compared to the Kawi 650.
Well I saw my first 660 in the woods yesterday with two people on it while my wife and I were on our 650 at a local rally. I followed them for a bit to see how it perfomed and was quite surprised to see it bottoming out quite a few times where we didnt even scrape.
I asked him how he liked it and he said it was great except for the ground clearance?????
Now before everyone goes off the handle I know its only meant for 1 rider but these two people only looked like a collective 275 - 300 pounds max while my wife and I top the 350 pound mark.
Im not bashing the Grizz but I was very surprised by this.

Old 10-21-2001, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

That's very interesting. I am considering a Grizz and ground clearance is a major factor. I suppose if the shocks were adjusted there would be less sag and movement with the extra weight. I would be riding double often as well.

I know both the Grizz and Kaw are around $10K MSRP, but can you tell me what they are really going for in Nova Scotia?

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2001, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hi homers, All I know is my 650 was $9750.00 but I traded in a 97 prairie 400 so I paid full pop. I think you can get one for about $9000.00 if you can wheel and deal. As for the 660 I didnt even know there were any avaliable until I saw one this weekend. You may also be right about adjusting the suspension this guy said it was her maiden voyage so he probably just got on and went for it.

Old 10-21-2001, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. That is what I figured I could get either one for.

As far as availability, I believe Maritime dealers have had the Grizz since somtime in July. Not sure how many though.

They both seem to have a few bugs, but I have not seen anything yet that is not fixable.

I was considering a smaller, more proven machine for a couple of years (i.e. Kodiak), but for the extra $1000 - 1500 it seems one of these machines would be much better for riding double.

How do you like your 650? Any problems?

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2001, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

One of the draw backs to the IRS set up is that as you add weight, you loose ground clearence. While they have superior ground clearence dead center, as you move off center to either side you actually have less clearence then a straight axle does. There are areas where the IRS is better, and there are areas where the straight axle is better. Depends on the kind of riding you do as to which is going to perform the best for you.

Rick

Old 10-21-2001, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

you have to adjust the shocks if you are going to add weight. Also grizrack, i see you are running the 589's how do you like them i am those are my first choice but i have to hear from a user. thankx

Old 10-21-2001, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

HomerS, I love my 650 YOU CANT BEAT THE POWER!!!!
I have had the Choke cable problem that everyone else has but found that if I pressure cable lube it it would work fine. I was told by my dealer that Kawi is going to be putting out a recall on the choke cable and replace it with a redesigned one.
The other thing that I really love about this machine is the brakes.
The rear wet brake will lock up all four wheels at any speed and has a service life of 6000 miles and the front dual piston disks are excellent as well. Im glad it stops so well because sometimes I find it hard to focus with the terrain flying by so fast[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2001, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

HomerS, I paid $10,300 plus tax for my '02 Grizz that included the winch & rear bumper both installed,I got the first 660 from this dealer back in July,I have over 1400 km's and love it.On the ground clearance issue I have noticed that when you double up or put a load you have to increase the rear shock setting but I also had to do it on my '01 Grizz as well but for different reasons,this was to keep the front end down when trail riding in not so even terrain.I have ITP 589,s on my 660 they work very well I like them more then my mud bug's I had .The 589's are 26x12x12 rear & 26x9x12 front.

Old 10-22-2001, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

GrizKo:
Are those 589s mounted on the stock rims? Did you need to add wheel spacers to fit them without rubbing? I'm thinking of trying Goodyear Mudrunners in exactly the same sizes when (if?) I get a Grizzly, and was wondering how they will fit.

Old 10-22-2001, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

showar94,
The 589's have been an outstanding tire for me. I have ridden them on just about every surface, hard pack, mud, hills both wet and dry, rocks, and snow. They have performed beyond my expectations. They are holding up very well also, I have about 600 miles on mine and they don't look noticeably worn. They are also quite rugged. I haven't gotten a flat yet, and I have ridden in areas where by all rights I could or should have!

Rick

Quick Reply: Grizzly 660 ground clearance.