Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Riding Wolverine's Aggressively

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2000, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have notice that the Wolverine is a popular 4-wheeler and I was wondering if any of you have had a problem I get every once in a while. When I'm riding aggressively and I come out of a corner hard or bring the front end up. My wolv spits and sputters for a second and then it clears up and is fine. Am I filling the fuel tank to fuel or what is happening? I think it is just something simple but I want to make sure something isn't wrong.

I have also notice that my rear tire seem to lose air pressure when I corner hard. Should I increase air pressure or decrease. I have tried both but I never went too high on the pressure just for fear of damaging the tires. They are the stock tires

[This message has been edited by jcsact (edited 01-04-2000).]

Old 01-04-2000, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

i have never had this prob. with mine ? the tire thing is something that i am not sure with , i would say if its stock tires ( which i have on mine right now but have kenda bearclaws comein) u should just go by the psi pressure it tells u too use on your plastic there should be a thing telling u this. thats all i can help u oout with right now. I live in Ohio. U???

Old 01-05-2000, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

I run my stock tires at 7psi. It handles way better, more responsive, quicker, better turning, more clearance etc... Although not recommended by Yamaha, I won't go back.

------------------
Mud_Runner 98' Wolverine,Warn Winch, Aluminum Skid plate, A-arm guards.

Old 01-05-2000, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jcsact,
I run into that fuel starve situation also on my Warrior in hard cornering & I think it is just a matter of the fuel being sloshed around in the carb bowl away from the jet for an instant.
As for the tires, it's possible you are losing the seal momentarily in turns. When I had those Dunlops I would run them as high as 10 psi to eliminate roll-over & for the rocks here in Az...no problem with the tires other than their normal inferiority. I have run BanditXC's for the past year with 6 psi and wouldn't have anything else.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 01-05-2000, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

I ride mine about as agersive as you can get and never had that problem. it might be the jetting. your tire might have a hole or you might have knocked it off the bead, if you ride aggesively and hit somthing with the rim it might happen.

------------------
99' Wolverine, FMF MegaMax2 Pipe, K&N jet kit and filter, OxLite brush guards,Skidplate, DuraBlue Elimanator axle and lift kit

Old 01-07-2000, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

You could just have a dirty carb. Try cleaning it first. If that doesn't work, you might want to consider puting a jet kit on your bike. Chances are, that will cure what ailes her. I have a dynojet kit on mine and have no problems. As for air pressure, Me, as well as all my friends, run our tires with 3.5 lbs. I find that gives them just the right amount of give so they can really grab, but still hold their air.

Old 01-10-2000, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

Go with derek, clean the carb and all the vent tubes. Then rejett if it happens again!
If it did it all the time i would think jetting but I would be willing to bet you have a tiny spec of dirt in the bowl or somewhere!