Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Installing a winch on the wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 11:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This ones not really a question just my experience of installing my new winch.

I recieved a winch and winch mount from cabela's mail order, after the wrong mount was sent the first time the second it was right, it comes with a small bag of hardware, a mount plate, a oil cooler mount, and a roller fairlead, not bad for 56 bucks. I started installing the kit by removing the bumper, then the oil cooler, and it's hoses.Big mistake, disconnect the hoses first, I think heman himself tightend one of the nuts that hold those hose up in the cooler its self, I am a good 230 pounds and was putting my weight and quiet a bit more into it, the reason you must disconnect the hose is because the have to cross to the opposite sides behind the frame bars, this also takes up the slack of the distance you move the cooler back. After that was done, I mounted the winch to the mount, not problem 4 big bolts, and 4 lock washers and it was done. Then I attached it to the frame, it mounts were the bumper used to, after attaching the oil cooler mount plate i swung the assembly into place, then bolted it down. I then install the oil cooler, then the hoses, then i had my only problem, the nut on the left side did not go all the way on, this made me suspicous but after tightening it up very tight no play was found so I moved to the right side, this one tighted to the very base of the cooler, but the hose still had play, I was stumped, Just as I suspected the hose leaked all over the place. I unscrewed it then retightened it, no leaks as of yet, the card boards sitting under it so I can see if it drips, but I dont think it is. Then the bumper went on attaching to the mount with the 4 bolts and lock nuts included. Then an extension bracket attatches to the top which allows the bumper to be attached at the top. I have to say after installing it the winch looks very good, everything looks like it came from the factory that way. If you have a wolverine or other yamaha and are looking at a winch and winch mount, I would reccomend the Cabela's model, I am very pleased with mine so far!

Andrew
99 wolverine, prm skids, warn winch, and moose plow.

Old 01-07-2000, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like that's actually a Moose {M.U.D.}winch mount.got one on mine,it works out much better than those that have the winch out in front of everything.

Old 01-09-2000, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

That Sounds Perfect!!If possible, email me a picture of your winch mount. I have the type that sticks way out in front and can't stand it. I'm almost ready to start cutting and fab up my own!!

Email: The-Jensens@msn.com

------------------
Mud_Runner 98' Wolverine,Warn Winch, Aluminum Skid plate, A-arm guards.