Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

720 Raptor vs. DS-703

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes, another Raptor vs. DS topic.

Knutz, since neither you or I was there, we cannot properly comment on the configuration of the Raptor. I did some checking and it was not one of our Southern California flock of 720's so I cannot comment on the engine build. We also don't know about tire selection, Raptor tire pressure, carb type, rider skill, etc. Most likely, the Raptor was running the stock CV carbs as very very few Raptor owners have spent the $$ to install a pair of FCR's (a real pain in the ars).

On the clutch issue, if the Raptor was having clutch trouble, by the time he noticed a problem, his clutch was long gone. Who knows if he did the proper clutch mods. I would be the first to agree that the stock clutch is poor at best. The mod is to install a yz style 6 spring system with ground plates to allow more fibers. Not too tough a fix and something that should be considered with 70+hp.

Now, lets see, the DS kit at $2400 vs. a Raptor kit for about $1900 (without a clutch).

I ended up a Glamis for the weekend and spent my time testing some new parts. Although I did not have time to race, I did notice that of the 2-4 DS riders there, a stock Raptor could seal their package.

Old 10-30-2001, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

$1900 for an assembled 720 Raptor? Thats alot less than the prices I've seen.

Old 10-30-2001, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

good post raptor720. What new Parts????

Old 10-30-2001, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Chas,

105mm Piston and new sleeve, small cam, valve springs, port work, special head gasket, clutch springs or mod clutch (I like the old trans -- with the added power it is nice to be able to carry the gears longer. BUT on the 2002, there would be less stress on the clutch since the gears are multiplying more of the torque.) All for about $1900.

Beyond that, cut the air box, add the jet kit and use your exhaust. Tires -- haulers or comp groove mini desert tracks for sand.

Additional stuff -- mod the CV carbs or install FCR flat slides, ignition system, bigger cam, under cut the gears.

Old 10-30-2001, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

So 720 what is the address so I can send my motor to you.....lol Really though 720 how do you keep the front end on the ground, with just a slip on jet kit and airbox mods it's tough to keep the front end down.

Nocando

Old 10-30-2001, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Nocan,

That can be a problem!!! I have found ways around it. (Knutz here is an opp to learn how to beat Raptors.)

First, if you start your hill race too near the bottom of the hill, there is no way you can keep the front down without a +4 swing arm. The other problem (on sand) is where people use too much paddle.

At Dumont, one of the DS huggers kept trying to race me from the base of the hill. Each time, I could only beat him by a few bikes because the front end was too hard to keep down. When we started back on the flat before the hill, he was lost in the dust.

I believe that the extra speed that is built up before the hill allows the Raptor to run in the higher hp range where the torque is not so drastic. What you get is a good hard pull with the front end 12" or less off the ground. This also makes going through the whoops easy as possible. On the tires, I go with the least rolling resistance. Mini Desert Tracks (comp grooved) are great. If I need all out performance, Paddle Brats with a +4 arm will do the job. I just don't like to dune with a +4 and Paddle Brats.

Old 10-30-2001, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

I am going to say someting tha a famous racer one said, it does not matter if you won by an inch or a km, the important things is that you won!!!

Old 10-30-2001, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

i dirt drag 300ft in 5.5 sec. i have the fst 11.5:1 piston w/cam valve springs, clutch spring, yoshi exaust, 12 tooth spr., 10 in. paddle masters and a wheelie bar. has anyone set any times on these 720s. i'd love to know the difference. has anyone race their 720 or 760 against a banshee w/a 420 or higher kit?

Old 10-30-2001, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

With a 686 and a mild cam on flat ground, I can beat a few 420's. I even took out one or two alcohol 420's. I think the problem is that most of the 420 crowd does not know how to properly tune their stuff.

With the 720, I have yet to see a 420 or 490. I will keep hunting and report soon.

Old 10-31-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

I had an intresting visit to a local ATV shop today. I saw a raptor there and took a look at it to find out about a new product that I'm working on for both DS's as well as Raptors. I noticed that this Raptor had been modified with a single 45MM carb and NITROUS. I talked to the tech working on it, and he informed me that it was there for a clutch. I commented on the nitrous tearing up the clutch and was informed that it wasn't just the nitrous that did it, but it was a 720 motor. That got me wondering, I asked if the tech knew were he lost the clutch. The answer was Dumont! How many 720 Raptors do you think lost a clutch at Dumont this weekend? After talking to people that were there to watch the races, I learned that this was the very bike that was beating my 703 customers bike last weekend!

That means I can tell you what you need to know about how the bike was set up. The customer claims to have $26,000 in reciepts for this bike[I can't see how he spent that much, it's not that tricked out] The nitrous was not working last weekend though, so I'm not claiming my 703 can hang with a 720 Raptor on the juice. Recreation Unlimited put the motor together after Quad Central II tried and failed to do it right several times.

And now the really funny part. When they went to drain the water to do the clutch, the water was full of oil! That makes 3 720 Raptors I've seen, and all 3 broke. I didn't really consider the clutch a break down, but this oil deal just makes me laugh. By the way, every one of my motors is still up and running. I don't have a lot of them out there, but those I finish, stay finished.

Quick Reply: 720 Raptor vs. DS-703