Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak rear boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ripped there Kodiak rear boot on the shaft drive? It looks like it would rip easy is there any guards available or Iam I worring about nothing.

Old 10-31-2001, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

A part number was posted many times on this forum for a rear boot guard. Supposedly it was a Yamaha part number, available only in Canada. After a year of searching here is what I found:

Part Number: ATV5GH40BG00 (all zeros, no o's).
I Purchased one from: Snow City Cycle Marine, Ontario Canada 416 752-1560.
Cost: $36.95 plus $10.63 shipping (Canadian $), I think $24.50 US.
It is not made by Yamaha, almost looks a little homemade but fits well and does the job.

One phone call and the part was on the way. Goodluck.

Old 10-31-2001, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I made one out of a piece of drain pipe I got off another fourm but I would like to have a good one. How are your bear claws? are 25 smaller than the original tires? how do they grab? Thanks

Old 10-31-2001, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

How about an aftermarket skid plate? Has anyone installed one? Does it offer any protection to the boot?

2tall
2001 Kodiak

Old 11-01-2001, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

I would like to try anything that would cover the boot it looks like if you went over fallen trees or brush it would rip off.

Old 11-01-2001, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

The 25" Bear Claws are amazing compaired to the OEM tires. Did you get the amazing part! I'm sure there are a lot of other good tires out there. I can't remember how the overall height compares to the OEM's. If I had to guess I think it may be 1/4 - 1/2 inch taller. Try a search on the Yamaha Forum for Bear Claws. There were a lot of comments on them a year or so ago from Kodiak owners. If you purchase a set I believe you have to buy all four, due to the height difference, to be able to shift on the fly.

I would like to try the wheel spacers from highlifter but hate to wear mud all day long, and I think the tires would definitely stick outside of the plastic. Has anyone tried them and what are your thoughts??

Old 11-02-2001, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

I called about the amazing boot guard. Its on back order so I will call back in a couple of weeks. Can you shift on the fly with the Kodiak? I was told to stop the quad first. I Think Iam going with the bear claws. I cant understand why no one has a skid plate for the back swing arm that covers the rear boot? Maybe we should get together and fabricate one and become millionaires.

Old 11-03-2001, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

I just checked the rear boot on my 2001 Kodiak and it is ripped. I was putting the plow brackets on and decided to check the boot since reading this post. It is easy to see how it would get ripped since it is totally exposed.

/NotuRaptor

Old 11-03-2001, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I made my own 1/2" plastic skid plate and added a few inches to help protect the rear boot. Only when going forward. I have a peace of drain flex hose but haven't installed it yet. I also shift while moving at just about any speed, I just let off the throttle and push the button.
myurl

Old 03-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

Just read this thread the other day and checked the rear drive boot today. Sure enough, it's got a tear on the bottom. I haven't had the chance to really look it over yet, but need to know how much work is involved in replacing the boot? Please fill me in on all the details before I start tearing it apart. Or is it a job best left to the mechanics? Will I need and special tools or parts? Is the boot originally packed with grease, or is it just covering the joint? And WITHOUT A DOUBT, will be buying/making a boot cover. This looks to be the weak spot on the Kodiak. I gratefully appreciate all your help and information.

Quick Reply: Kodiak rear boot