Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The famous Banshee flat spot

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2000, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bansheedude,

Thats a good point, something I never thought of, I put ITP 22" holeshots in the rear and never thought it might change the gearing. I kept the stock gears and put the larger tires on, will it have an effect over the stock tires? So my low end probably got worse, it actually added to the problem.

Rob

Old 01-26-2000, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

First of in response to the banshee that just stops after 4 minutes...This is reaaly a dumb one and you have probably already checked it but I canses a sililar problem for about 4 hours on a ride one day..The culprit was the vent hose on the gas cap it was kinked down behind the radiator...Since then I have seen it happen a couple of times on other machines easy way to tell is just take the cap off and see if it will start up in a few minutes after it dies.then start looking at the cap/hose for obstructions.

I ride a '98 with FMF woods pipes,boyseen reeds on stock cage,K&N filter,vented airbox.
Also alternate between 12 and 13 tooth front sproket.with 22" rear tires.

I don't remeber exact #'s but 22 inch rear with 13 tooth front is something like 2% higher gearing than stock.I like that combo best for all but the worst technical hills then I drop to the 12 tooth.

The question is really how much top end do you want to loose to gain bottom end.My personal answer was I was only willing to loose a little...which is where I am with the 12 tooth.I estimate about 2-3 mph slower than stock.(but way quicker) and about 5 mph slower than the 13 tooth combo.Yes the 13 tooth/22" combo is faster an quicker than stock with the other mods.I don't know exect #'s but will be clocking with my new GPS unit this spring.

I have ridden the 2 into 1 piped bikes...Great bottom end but way less top end than a two pipe.

Old 01-28-2000, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey CHUCK,

My name is Chad and I ride a stock 99 Banshee. I saw your response to Rob regarding his "flat spot" on his Banshee and noted that you have T5 pipes. I am interested in purchasing them and wondered how they perform compared to other pipe makers. Do they have LESS low end than STOCK? I am looking for something that will still work in the woods but don't want to use the 2 into 1 setup and it seems Toomey has more experience with the Banshee motor than other manufacturers and a more complete product. (Ground needles, jetting, and true CHROME!!)

I also noted that you are using 320 mains. I know Toomey sends you needles and jets with the kit. Was the jetting correct when you used what came with it or did you end up changing it anyway?

Anyone else out there have any experience with Toomey T5's??

Thanks!
Chad Perry

Old 02-01-2000, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 96 Banshee, I have performed various mods to my bike. I have 2 into 1 moto-fast, K&N filter, holeshots, etc. I just wanted to say that this forum has been the most informative and helpful one yet. And unlike all the other forums I have read, there is no childish name calling or arguing about this bike vs. that bike crap. To all who responded in this forum, thanks for the info.

Old 02-01-2000, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 08-20-2000, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Hey,
You all talk about motofast 2 in 1?
Somebody have picture of that?
For them who have a motofast 2 in 1 how was the top end?
Somebody knows about Dyno Port 2 in 1?
How was it compare to the motofast one?

Thanks everyone!
Banshee 2000 Blue

Old 08-20-2000, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.vci.net/~bash/

You might be able to make it out, but the shadows are hiding it pretty well. I also put a recording of what it sounds like on there.

Old 08-20-2000, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Paul Turner mid-range pipes on my Banshee and 20" shredders in the rear with matching shredders up front. TORS removed with a twist throttle, jetted correctly for our temp and altitude(don't remember numbers, lost notes in a move). It has more power over stock everywhere with a noticable improvement in the midrange. It has no power at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle but it isn't a jetting issue. Compared to the Toomey's, my Banshee is slow on the top end, but not by a whole lot and mine is easier to ride(broader powercurve). I also ride with the airbox lid on. This is a great post, I learned a couple of things. Going riding, see you later.

Old 08-20-2000, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

im new with quads dont laugh whats the (tors) it seems like everybody has removed this mine might already be removed though

Old 08-21-2000, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

TORS is a electrical connection from a sensor on the carbs that cuts on the ignition if it thinks their is a stuck open throttle. cut the wires going to the carbs or just unhook them at the front connections, you will need an idle jet kit if you do.
As for the problems 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, i may be mistaken but I thought that since most people are jetting up 50,60,70+ over stock main for pipes that it creates an overly rich off idle, thus bogging for lack of air, because the airscrew cannot be cranked enough to flow enough air. As some one mentioned having helped their problem by turning out the air screw about 4 turns. A possibilty that may help is going down one size(or more) pilot jet to lose the extra fuel off idle.

Also for the guy whos banshee dies after a few minutes, check float levels, carb vent hoses, drain carbs for about 2 minutes try again.

Sputtering on top can mean lack of fuel, slight amount of water in fuel or carbs, bogging on top is too rich main jet. Also When mixing gas I never keep gas I dont use that day, I dont care what you got it in, gas gets moisture in it during temperature change over night. I go from the pump to the can, mix, then into the bike all of it. If i have any left i put it into a small 1/2 gal can just incase, if i dont need it i put it in the weed wacker, but i dont leave any in my main mixing/filling can.

And for the guy with the banshee a few days old. If it has the gas the dealer put in it, you can expect it to run sh:tty because they mix double oil in two strokes for the first tank of gas to let them stay cool for break in.

One last thing, im sure someone will give me he&|| about this. I prefer Splitfire plugs, they do give a bump on bottom, just make sure you dont go lean on top with them, and at $8 pair they do last and resist fouling longer for the money.

good luck guys