Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the raptor that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i own a 660 grizz, almost bought a 02 raptor, but couldn't wait any longer for them to come out (sept02). My friend on the other hand went the raptor route. Now, I read everything on this forum about the raptor and it sounds like a book of horror stories. One question, IS THE RAPTOR REALLY THAT BAD? Cause nothing has happen to his so far, but he is worried from hearing all of the horror stories.

Old 11-02-2001, 12:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Don't worry, ride and have a good time. I ride with 4 local raptors and more on occasion. All that has gone wrong with the 12 i know about is-

1. broken rear sprocket(sneeves)
2. butterfly sticking(raptorrrc)
3. broken chain on a new 2002 raptor at the dunes last week.(rods machine)
4. rear tires, rear tires, rear tires.

I used to let some that i read on here get me worked up. I ride mine almost daily. I don't abuse mine, but i hammer it pretty hard.

Old 11-02-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the deal. I bought mine back in October 00'. The last 5 digits read 00247. I guess that means it was one of the early models. I have had no problems with anything. No tranny probs, no carb probs. Actually, I had them blow off but it was my fault. I had just installed a jet kit. I fixed it no prob. I just raced it this weekend with no probs. It's just like the Ford Bronco II's. You always heard about how easily they rolled. The only reason you heard about it was because there were hundreds of thousands of them made. So, I'm sure the percentage of Broncos that rolled to the percentage that didn't was really small. Same thing with the Raptor. They have out-sold the DS's 10 to 1. Even the 400ex's have had some probs. Think about what it's used for. You beat the snot out of it while riding, somethings bound to break eventually. I wouldn't hesitate buying another Raptor. I love mine. Hope this helps. Bartman

Old 11-02-2001, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

I rolled my 88Bronco II. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It was one of my first vehicles, and I had no experience how not to overcorrect when swerving. Very embarassing. Oh well. It was so nice: FUUUUUULLY loaded V6 bought in 97 it had only 66K, lift kit, large tires and sweet alloy wheels. Eddie Bauer edition w/awsome sound system. If only I could reverse time....

From my signature, you can probably guess what my opinion about the Raptor is. I won't post it unless requested to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2001, 09:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

No the Raptor is'nt as bad as we sometimes see on this board. In my opinion, after owning a ton of atvs over the years, the Raptor seems to be about par for the course. I would'nt think twice about buying another Raptor.

Old 11-02-2001, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

The raptor is not a bad quad at all. I beleive the problems get blown out of proportion on message boards. I have a ford Lightning also and if you go read all the boards, they sound like a pos. I have not had any problems with mine and I think most problems with the raptor are isolated.

My only complaint is the spacing from 1st to 2nd gear and it needs more power.

This bike should be able to walk away from everything made. It is the largest displacement and weighs in close to all other sport bikes made. In my opinion a modded 400 should still not be able to hang with the raptor. I think yamaha needs to power up the beast a little.

bat

Old 11-02-2001, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

I have serial number 04478 (last5) which I got last september, I try to get out on the trail 2x per week all year round. I have not had a single one of the "dreaded problems" that most people are concerned about. my riding partner got his a week later also has had no problems. we both have reputations for taking good care of our quads which may have something to do with it

Old 11-02-2001, 12:12 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I haven't had all the dreaded problems either. One thing though=drippy coolet pump. I think reading all this stuff on the forums has made me worry more about it.

I try to keep it maintained. The only thing I do wrong is use the Auto oil. I have written before on the Chet brew oil I mix up. Its a 25% to 75% mixture.

garyc660R I was confused for a split second. I like the new Kawasaki green look.

Chet

Old 11-02-2001, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

RAPTORYFM660r
I would be very careful about using oil with anti-friction additives (all the auto oils I know use them), they are known to trash the clutch on the raptor. Its not that I like yamalube but at least I know it is clutch-friendly

Old 11-02-2001, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I too have a 2001 I have had no problems except I had the carbs blow off the boots (after installing jet kit) I then made a foolish mistake putting a hose clamp on them that was too big and cut into the boots. Called my dealer (Columbia Motorsports Columbia, CT) spoke with Kyle told him what had happened he ordered me a new set had them in by the end of the week (great guys to deal with, the best). Other than that all has been great and I ride her...um I mean it pretty hard. I also have 2 friends with Raptors 1 new 2001 and 1 6 months old and niether one has had a problem. There have probably been 2 or 3 people that have had big problems on here out of who knows how many. I personally love the quad just my 2 cents....

Quick Reply: Is the raptor that bad?