Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tech tip's got me scared.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 09:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I kinda sank my bike last weekend. When I drained the motor oil afterward, it looked like milk. I just filled it, ran it, flushed it, and repeated that a couple of times. I figured that would take care of the problem, but I guess not. I was just reading in the "Tech Tips" section of ATV connection under the heading "Playing submarine". It stated exactly what happened to my bike, and it said that you can flush the crank case out as many times as you want, but you will never get rid of all the water. It said something about the needle bearings in the output shaft attracting and holding onto water, and destroying the bearings. It told me a bunch of bad stuff that the water will do in there. I went on reading the rest of the article, anxious to find out how to fix it, but nothing! It just told me a horror story about how my engine was basicly going to self destruct, but didn't tell me how to save it. Some tech tip. Does anyone know how to get the rest of the water out of my engine? I had one friend suggest replacing one liter of oil with diesel, and running the bike for 5 minutes, and then flushing and filling again. Any ideas guys?

Old 01-13-2000, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

Diesel does attract water, but i'm not sure if it would not do more harm than good.

Old 01-13-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take very little stock in that particular article.I completely sank my 1987 King Quad and it was just filled with water.We pulled it out,towed it back,changed oil and filter,completely drained the gas tank,refilled it with fresh gas,cleaned the air box and sediment tube,and I was back riding again in about a half hr's time.Of coarse I changed it again very SOON,but I drove the same quad until 1991 with NO problems or milky stuff.I wont smash mouth ATV conn for the help,Im meerly telling you what happened to me.Good Luck=====BILL

------------------

Old 01-14-2000, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer

Diesel is probably one of the better choices for flushing your motor. The ratio of 1qt to 3qts is good. Some people would recommend solvent, but in my opinion this is dangerous. Not only will is cause excessive wear, but it could permantly damage seals & o-rings. 5 minutes may be overkill in a water situation. Your not trying to breakdown years of sludge build up. I recommend 1.5 -2 minutes tops. I work on very expensive submersible pumps on a daily basis and we commonly have to flushes out contaminated bearings from water infiltration. Never have we had premature bearing failure due to creamy oil. The trick is to catch it in time,it sounds like you did. Good luck and don't let it bother you, your bike will be fine.

------------------
Mud_Runner 98' Wolverine,Warn Winch, Aluminum Skid plate, A-arm guards.

[This message has been edited by Mud_Runner (edited 01-13-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

Gee, aren't those King Quads just wonderful?

------------------
Eric Baatz 1996 Suzuki KING QUAD Remember the KING Lives!! Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts Remember it does not matter what we ride, just that we ride!!

Old 02-01-2000, 02:06 PM
Range Rover

I recently sank my '00 Wolverine. It took about six oil changes before the oil looked ok. The only problem I've run into is either carb or spark related, I think. It's cutting out going up steep hills. A lot of guys I ride with dump their atv's in the water all the time. They change the oil a few times and keep on going. Good luck.