Old 11-07-2001, 11:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that some really graet info, thanks man

Old 11-08-2001, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Knows, thanks for the info..

And if it does all hold out to be true (which I have no reason to doubt you), then it looks like the best bet to strengthen the tranny is to buy forged gears for the 01, would you not agree?

I've seen some other posts that say the the gears are around $200 a piece, and you would only have to do 1st 2nd and 3rd if you ask me.

Whats your thought on this?

Thanks
Brad

Old 11-08-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well that sure goes along with the rumor of serial # 6,000 to #7,000 being the cut off for tranny troubles. Ours was a very late '01, with a 22,000 vin #. I felt we were safe, and it has been trouble free, except for a recent bout of bad gas or water in the gas or something which it seemed to get over by itself...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
......We're at the deadline for the warranty extension, I don't think we're going to do it. $635 for three years,,,,doesn't really sound that bad, one engine problem would eat that up in a hurry....

Old 11-08-2001, 11:52 PM
The Facility

I'm notsure about the gears you are referring to. Aftermarkets or Yamaha '02s? The Yamaha will require the above parts I mentioned above. As I said, I'm not sure about any aftermarket gears. Just remember, if that price WAS $200, you would have to change six gears to change 1st,2nd,and3rd. You would have to change 1st on the main shaft and counter shaft, and so on for every "gear" after that. So, if it is $200 per gear,unless they mean for each "gear", that's $1200.00!!

Old 11-09-2001, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

For the last time, there were no mid production changes with 01 Raptors.. If Yamaha made changes, they would have the part numbers and lists in place to take care of parts demand for the updated models. Otherwise, how would dealers repair updated models? Throw in old parts - law will not allow that with any manufacturer.

The changes that I'm aware of are the 1st~3rd gear ratios and reverse ratios. I've also heard that some of the gear dogs are updated but no details. I was told that updates were made as product improvements and not to address design flaws. Cases are the same and shafts are same diameter. Still, to update to 02 tranny, you will need many tranny parts like 1st to 3rd gear sets (main axle is part of 1st gear), center shift fork, and reverse gear set. This sounds like a lot of parts/money.

Someone mentioned forged 2nd and 3rd gears. Yes they are available aftermarket and top notch racers are using them (this was in the magazine). This route would be more cost effective than trying to convert to 02 which we're not sure if they are made stronger than 01??. Any 02 Raptors out there? Any problems yet? Can you feel the difference in ratio?

So guys with 01, rest a sure, all 01s are same regardless of serial numbers. Mine is less than 1000 and it is still flawless with over 14 months of use - huh.

Someone also mentioned serial number in 20,000 range. I wonder how many 01s Yamaha produced? Duh.

Remember, don't kill the messenger. I'm just a middle man with another source.

Old 11-09-2001, 01:02 AM
The Facility

RapTech, from the way you are talking, you must work at a dealership? If you do, I know that for a fact you are not in the parts dept.! The current fiche at ALL Yamaha dealers right now concerning the '01 Raptor has TWO different part numbers for EVERY gear in the transmission. As far as to what dealers are doing regarding replacing the gears can only be done by tearing down the engine and counting the teeth on each gear! Because nor the fiche OR ANYONE at Yamaha knows EXACTLY where the serial number break is! I have studied this myself and have talked to more people at Yamaha this past week on the subject, to confirm this. If it's wrong and your source is right is fine with me. It would make MY job a helluva alot easier to know when a customer comes in with an '01 that I don't have to go counting teeth on gears for replacements. So, for the peace of all at Yamaha and dealership service departments, I hope you are right. By the way, you said that your source said that the reverse gear was changed. are you sure it was the ratio or the diameter change in the center for the new shaft? Where did you get your info.? Sounds like what I said before in the fact that Yamaha has lost their a$$ on this problem. That's not even including all the problems they have on their hands with the 660 Grizzly. And they already have reps. hinting around to dealers of bizarre machines for next year? Sounds like they need to get on the ball with what they got now before building more machines with such haste.

Old 11-09-2001, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I think I'll ride mine till it splodes. What kind of new machines are they hinting of?

Old 11-09-2001, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

ok this is inside info ,all 660 motors for 02 with the new trannys have hand sribed numbers on the cases under the motor skid plate. that is what I was told .I dont know how true it is or not ?I was told this is how dealers will know witch gears there dealing with ???? could be I guess . my 2 cents

Old 11-10-2001, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Raptech? Answer to KNOWSALOT's reply?

This is not a personal attack on you because you've been helpful in the past in regards to the Raptor's problems. But, everyone knows that the Raptor had either production line problems or poor engineering with respect to the tranny. All the while you've preached that there is no problem until Yamaha admits that there is one. You've defended Yammy time and time again but I think it's time that you admit to yourself that they made a mistake. Outright lying or not admitting to the problem doesn't mean that a problem doesn't exist. Yamaha can play dumb to the public but all they're doing is hurting themselves. I know for me that they've really hurt their credibility and I'd be very gunshy about buying another Yammy product. That's too bad because I've always had good experiences with them in the past but this Raptor tranny fiasco has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Old 11-10-2001, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

JUST SOME INFORMATION
I have had not one problem with the 3 Raptors we have. The first one is a year old this month and has a ser # of 0777, the secound one will be a year old next month with ser # 6700+/-, no problem there either. The third one will be a year old in Jan and has ser # 22000+/-. The lastest one does shift smoother than the first and second one but all 3 as of now have not had a problem. These machines are not babied by no means either. We ride a dunes often with paddles and drag race every chance we get. The first one is the one I will keep an eye on though because of the way it shifts compared to the other units. All 3 are stock. The first one has 12/42 gears, the second one has 12/40 and the 3rd one has stock 13/40 gears. There are about a dozen Raptors in our riding group and to date nobody has had any tranny problems. I don't know all the ser #'s but I do know that some are less than 6000 because of when they were bought. One guy has a 2002 and his problem is with chains breaking. He is on his third chain now. The second chain was a SS Sidwinder and I think he has a stock chain on it now for the 3rd one. I will be meeting with him today for a ride and will see what response he got from Yamaha on the matter.

Quick Reply: HERE IS THE '02 RAPTOR TRANNY INFO. I FOUND