Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YZ426 QUAD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2000, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I WAS AT A MOTORCYCLE SHOW IN ST LOUIS THIS WEEKEND AND SEEN THE YZ426.IT IS AN AWSOME BIKE.ANYWAY, I ASKED THE YAMAHA SPOKEPERSON ABOUT THE ENGINE PUT INTO A QUAD FRAME AND HE TOLD ME THAT IT IS ALMOST A GUARENTEED THAT THE YZ426 ENGINE WILL BE PUT INO A *WARRIOR* FRAME. HE SAID IT WILL MOSTLIKELY BE A 2002 MODEL. I CANT WAIT. I MIGHT SELL MY 400EX TO BUY THIS ON. ANY BIDDERS?

Old 01-18-2000, 06:06 AM
Trailblazer

In the January 2000 of 3&4 Wheel Action they stated that Yamaha and Suzuki were releasing 400't to compete with the 400EX for the 2001 model year. Just hope it handles as good as a Honda.

------------------
http://homepages.go.com/~mrdci/

[This message has been edited by mrdci (edited 01-18-2000).]

Old 01-18-2000, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

Putting a YZ426 into a *Warrior* frame would be the biggest mistake Yamaha ever made. Sure hope the sales guy doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. It sure would be a waste to see a wonderful engine like the
426 put into this 13 year old frame. I would
really have to imagine that the Yamaha rep. is kind of clueless on this if he really thinks the Warrior fram could compete with a 400EX.

Old 01-18-2000, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think that Yamaha will put the YZ426 motor in a warrior frame. What you are more likely to see is a completely new bike that is called a Warrior and the old design will be fazed out.

Mike
'00 400ex

Old 01-18-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with wvblaster, Yamaha seems partial to their naming arangement. Personally, model numbers and letters are more performance inspiring, but Yamaha knows that when people hear "Warrior", "Banshee", "Big Bear", and the like, they think of Yamaha. Even though Yamaha totally changed the Big Bear and Kodiak for Y2K, they kept the names. Makes sense if you have a following.

Old 01-18-2000, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I PERSONALLY DONT THINK THEY SHOULD PUT THAT ENGINE IN A WARRIOR FRAME. I DONT LIKE THE WARRIOR. ITS TIME FOR YAMAHA TO PUT ENGINES IN NEW FRAMES INSTEAD OF PUTING IN A 13 YEAR OLD DEWSIGN.

Old 01-18-2000, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

I would imagine a totally new name more race inspired rather than dropping an old line currently available. I can tell you from experience that Yamaha dealers can't get enough sport atv's right now. Even though the designs are 13 years old they still sell out every year. Hopefully Yamaha will do the Warrior and Banshee like they have done the Blaster. A Blaster has actually went down in price from around $3600 to $2999 Wouldn't be great to see the same type of reduction on the Warrior and Banshee. If they did build the YZ426 quad it will be pricey but they will sell out.

Old 01-18-2000, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

I would imagine a totally new name more race inspired rather than dropping an old line currently available. I can tell you from experience that Yamaha dealers can't get enough sport atv's right now. Even though the designs are 13 years old they still sell out every year. Hopefully Yamaha will do the Warrior and Banshee like they have done the Blaster. A Blaster has actually went down in price from around $3600 to $2999 Wouldn't be great to see the same type of reduction on the Warrior and Banshee. If they did build the YZ426 quad it will be pricey but they will sell out.

Old 01-19-2000, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

Lucky You, B.K.!

You got to ride the 426, there all sold out
around here, Dealer says they'd be lucky to
find one.

As for the New Sport Quad, Yamaha should
consult a good aftermarket supplier, like
Laegers for example, He'd get some money,
the Riders would get a far better Quad, Yamaha could say(finally) that their Quads
can live up to the Standards set by the
YZ, YZ-F, YZF-R, and SRX lines(in their perspective fields)

The Name Warrior should stay as it is
a very powerful name, and with the 400/426
motor it will live up to it.

Thats
What
I
Say

Y2K

Old 01-20-2000, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

I was talking to an owner of an aftermarket dirt bike\atv shop and he's already seen part numbers for accessories for a 426cc atv. He believes it will be out late this fall as a 2001 model.

As far as all this bickering over a name. Who cares!! Let's just hope they're smart enough put a reverse gear on it which is the best feature of the Warrior and kept me from buying a 400ex. I heard Honda left off a reverse gear for weight savings but I find it hard to believe that a starter and a battery weigh less than a reverse gear. Personally I'd rather have to kick start the bike once than have to get off an push the thing every time I needed to back up.

Quick Reply: YZ426 QUAD