Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New member needs advice on Raptor...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it s my immagination or maybe its my long hours tuning my bike, or maybe i m just plain crazy

But my bike is definlty faster and more powerful without a doubt with the YOSHIMURA fulll system on it. How can you guys even suggest it dosn't do anything.

The bike has much more low end and revs out tilll the cows come home.. Feels like A CR500!

.the stock pipe is junk!

Old 11-09-2001, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor660RNH, your reply is utter horse$hit!

I have the CT Racing full system on my bike and it is a WORLD of difference compared to stock, or any other system out there (except maybe a White brothers complete system). With over 10 more hp through the meat of the powerband, it is extrememly noticable.

Are you sure you own a Raptor? I you sure you've ridden a stock Raptor and then rode a properly modified (i.e. jetted) Raptor? You would know the difference if you had. It is like openning a floodgate on the engine. A stock MZ motorcycle using the Yamaha XTZ660 engine (which is virtually identical to the Raptor engine) makes well over 50hp stock. I do not doubt CT Racing's claims that a piped Raptor puts out almost 50hp. My Raptor with just that pipe kit makes more power than my modded '89 250R used to.

Granted, the increased power isn't as trackable- BUT it is definately there! Next mod on my list is aftermarket shocks front and rear to get the ponies to the ground.

I forgot to mention that different tires would also help. I hate the stock Dunlops. Perhaps Maxxis Razrs would give more traction and better sliding capability.

Old 11-09-2001, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

or maybe it's that funny cigarette hanging out of your mouth.(just kiddin)you add some pretty informative posts. i don't think your crazy.

If you feel it's faster. Than thats whats important.

you seem pretty sure. how did you measure the gains? what were they?

i was simply reporting my findings which i have reported and defended over and over again. if you are truly interested. you can conduct a search. and read my previous posts.

Old 11-09-2001, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Alaska. Nice to meet you. thanks for the compliment. CT is full of horseshit. i have raced a CT setup multiple times. i won. he won. we swapped quads with the same result. It's Minut.

and i happen to own the trickest Raptor on the Forum.

your too emotional to be believable. And i'm sure i've rode more Raptors then you have probably seen. Trying to discredit me without researching my posts is a rookie mistake. as a matter of fact i've ridden raptors with every pipe (except LRD) and OUR experience shows the GYT-R slip on with factory pipe gives the best gains.

Several of the Ra[ptors i ride with are on this forum and i'm sure they will log in to agree.

Old 11-09-2001, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm i dunno could be the wacky tabacy but

The difference i feel now is much stronger then ever before. Its like the powerband is more "constant" with no pauses anywhere all the the way from the bottom up to the top. she just keep s going and she revs out alot quiker now too. I have a A Kand N air filter with outerwear, trimmed snorkle tabs, 6 uni vents in airbox lid. dyno jet kit, 148 and `150 mains. left carb is 4.25 turns out while the right is 3 turns. I have also trimmed the airbox tabs so i was able to push evrything forward so that the carbs actualy sit in the boots, not hang out of them. A good par of hose clamps too. (not too tight)

It is true that i have not ran it on a dyno so i can't give you any actuall documentation, but i did race several stock raptors and pulled way ahead of them. I also have some works shocks on the front and and extended lonestar axle. so that may be a factor..ohh yeah and i weigh 270 pounds!

Before the yoshi i had a white bros R4 (which is for sale) and before that a white bros E series. The quailty and craftmanship of the Yoshi Is no comaparison. The cost is more but there is a reason...

below is a quote from a reply to fella who had asked me also about the full Yoshi system earlier this week

<< To be honest with you i didi feel a noteicable difference in the full system. I still havn't found the correct jetting for the system though. she is runnng kind of rich on the low end right now. I almost totally flipped my quad the last time i went riding becaus e you know how she like to wheelie, well now you have to be real careful cause she comes up in the blink of and eye..i almost lost it at like 55 mph i was almost totally over when at the last second i tapped the front brake..WHEW!!!!!

The R4 is a sweet pipe though..but herer is the thing. Slip-ons are exactly what they state to be. slip-on. Don't get me wrong the R4 is real nice and it really woke my bike up..but its a matter of fit and finish. The full yoshi system is air tight. when you put a slip-on onof any brand you will always have a little air leak here and there. I went and bought new gaskets for the mufflers and there still was an air leak with the slip ons. A full system is designed as one unit. the way my bike feels now it reminds me of a cr500 with incrediable low end that pulls to a screaming top end. BUt the price was CRAZY!! 600$!!
>>

Raptor660RNH you get BIG UP respect..

Old 11-09-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Joey thanx for the informative and polite reponse. There is no doubt that there are some gains. but i think your weight may be playing more of a factor. i weigh 180 and found my luck goes south when dragging against heavier riders.

I don't expect to get the last word in here. so i'll leave it at this. The gains that have been reported on this forum regarding pipes are HIGHLY exagerated. My friends and i spent the day matching Raptors to address this exact dilema. i reported our fidings. if that upsets you. i apologize. the data was meant for rational individuals who had ledgitimate interest in pipe combo's.

if you think i'm wasting my time on this site to spread horseshit. Then you don't know me or your probably new to the forum.

goodnight, i'll check the post on monday. safe riding all....

Old 11-09-2001, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

almost forgot...

Alaska, If your looking for shocks. consider Elka's. they make shocks for MX sleds and their setups are perfect for cold weather quads. Martin is the contact and they are out of Canada.

Old 11-09-2001, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hate to say it but if you are not going oversize piston/cam/springs/polish&amp;port sort of mods stock pipe and a good tip gives the most bang for the buck, you definatly have to mod the airbox replace the filter and jet that puppy but the pipe is overkill. I started with the big gun tip then added the pipe---&gt; no to low difference. I might notice it if I did it after my current engine mods, but hard to be sure. beware what you see advertised the ct system is a good system but I doubt it hits 50hp

Old 11-09-2001, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

WOW!Thanks for all of the responses.I'm probaly leaning towards a GYT-R slip on for now with the proper jetting.I don't think I want to dump a ton of money into it for only a modest gain in H.P. It is plenty fast for the riding that I do (tight,rocky,wooded,crappy trails her in suburban N.Y.)I'm lucky if I even get into 4th gear for more than 10 seconds.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:18 PM
Range Rover

Raptor660RNH, well said. the awsome power that is the 660R raptor(stock) is scary fast as it is. i do alot of tight trail riding in the low desert in california and i seldom ever open it up all the way to 5th gear. by the time u hit 3rd gear your picking up speed so fast that unless u ride every single day your not gonna benfit from a $500 complete pipe setup. sure it sounds extremly tempting to put a pipe on the Raptor especially when your out on the dunes and u hear other modded raptors with pipes fly by and u hear there exhaust.

Quick Reply: New member needs advice on Raptor...