Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New member needs advice on Raptor...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice to you about your Raptor- SELL IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Old 11-09-2001, 11:56 PM
RIP Dear Friend

My advice to you MXZX
- get lost WHILE YOU STILL CAN!
Chet

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2001, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

yoshi rules. you have in essence a motorcycle engine. go with the people who know motorcycle engines best. but whatever pipe you go with spend a little extra time on your jetting to be as "perfect" as possible. good luck. but you won't need luck w/ yoshi.

Old 11-10-2001, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

I have not yet tested the Yoshi pipe, but I know their pipes are good for street bikes -I ran one in 1978 on my GS1000S.

My problem is that Yoshi and most of the pipe builders have no clue about the specific dynamics of this very special application. The engine design is very sensitive to any modification.

For stock or even 686 engines, I would stick with the stock head pipe and a gytr tip. For very high perf apps, a full exhaust such as the Trinity Racing all stainless steel dual exhaust. Trinity is the only pipe that offers a true non restrictive reflective silencer.

Old 11-10-2001, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor with more power(PIPE n Filter mods) does have more power. The reason in a drag the stock is close to the modded one is the modded one now with the extra power and throttle response has more wheel spin. In stock form its hard to get the raptor to slide corners and this is another reason for adding a pipe and so on. Do your little drag race test again on black top and there should be more of a difference. I race MX with my Raptor and once decided to put the stock silencer back on for a race because it was a very tight and technical track and my Raptor felt over powered for it. Bad idea! It made it worse. Could get it to slide around all the hair pins as good and there was a couple no run doubles that i couldnt quite muster with the stock pipe one. On the Race track you need some wheel spin. RapTech being a racer should agree with me on my wheel spin theory. Just my .02.

Old 11-13-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Mtecate4G: Okay, Wheelspin. I might buy that.

we ride pits and MX tracks. they're not going to be interested in dragging on pavement. There must be another way to measure gains.

Badbus: Good decision. save your money for badly needed suspension upgrades. The Raptor (stock) can be a little tippy if your not using alot of body English. I wider Raptor is FASTER.

Old 11-13-2001, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Gotta chime in here with my opinion.

Just bought a CT Racing full kit with foam filter and dyno kit, no lid. WOW! Startling, major difference. Throttle response is immediate, power is everywhere. Wheelies in 3rd gear with no tug on the bar, will wheelie in 4th with a little tug, still no clutch. Holds 2nd, 3rd gears on 300ft hillclimbs (gravel). I almost want to change the gearing but I don't need to. I don't need to race anyone, I just want a machine which is more fun to ride. Man, I can't believe you don't feel the same thing. This thing is like a 660 should be. You jump on the 400 and it's like a kid's toy. I have ridden it for almost a year, and just added the kit this past weekend. I can definately tell the difference, and would highly recommend you talk to Alan at CT about their kit. It is worth the money, and he is a straight shooter. Everything he said was true, and his recommendations were bang on.

My buddy bought his Raptor one month after me, and immediately put a GYT-R Carbon pipe on his bike. No difference. My stock bike and his GYT-R bike were a dead heat. (he weights a good 50 pounds more than me) When I ordered my CT kit, I talked to Alan, and he recommended that I get the Pro-Flow Flange, and foam filter kit for the GYT-R. He also recommended I get the Yamaha jets to go along with it. Ordered it and installed it.

This also made a HUGE difference on his machine. Same feedback. Immediate throttle response, wheelies when you want it. It rips. (We haven't had a chance to line them up yet, as I put mine on last weekend, but it will happen soon enough) When you let the Raptor breathe, it really responds. This has to be the biggest improvement. Proper airflow, and proper jetting. Both are critical, and both make a huge difference.

I haven't even touched the internals of the motor. Just a filter, jet and pipe kit. Amazing.

I would agree with CT's dyno charts which show a broader power range, and it pulls harder, longer and the power increase is dramatic. I am very happy with my purchase, and also very happy with my machine.

I would agree with Raptor660RNH that the Raptor can benefit from better shocks and a wider axel. In fact, I agree with his suggestion that you do that first. It will be my next improvement. I am finished with the motor. I don't need any more power. I just wanted more motor, cause I love to wheelie and rip around. I know I would get spanked on an MX track if someone spent the same money on a wider axel. But I made the choice for the pipe.

I dissagree that the Raptor will not have more power or be more fun to ride, with a pipe kit. (Highly recommending CT's). It has not been my experience.

One other thing to take note: I bought CT's pipe kit because it was a KIT. Matched, dyno tested, supported by CT, and proven results. No thinking here. I love to ride more than fix. I have watched these boards for the last year, reading many posts about people trying to get a miss match of parts to work together and then get the jetting right. It was more important to me to make the purchase, install and ride. Not screw around and get frustrated. (Fix the bike, load the bike, take it to trails, start it up, find out it isn't right, load the bike, put it in the garage, fix the bike, yada yada yada...)

I do know that before I installed the kit, my other friend with a DS Baja edition, would just start to pull away on top end when the Raptor was stock. Now, it's no contest. It's now a matter of bike lengths. Proof enough for me.

Everything came true, no mystery.

Good luck with your choice,

RM

Old 11-14-2001, 06:40 AM
Range Rover

rennym; great post regarding your Raptor's performance with the CT kit. Love the part about the wheelies; that's my forte... What all comes with the CT kit & how long did it take for the installation? How much was the kit? By the way...the 01 929 is an awesome bike, but the Suzuki GSX-R750 was named bike of the year for 00 & took honorable mention for 01..... Cycleworld!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2001, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Installation of the pipe was a breeze. Found it easier to take the header off and do it first, then slide the silencer on. No biggie. The Pro Flow wasn't too bad, however, I don't know if you would want to follow the paper template exactly. It might be better to clamp the flange where you want it and make the bolt holes gently with the flange in place. The jets were easy, once you get all the stuff off. So overall, I would say it is intermediate level to do, but you won't need an expert. The instructions are pretty clear, and I have called them 3-4 times to change my shpping directions and ask questions. And Alan himself answers the phone. Very knowledgable dude.

US$539.95 for the kit.

DynoJet Kit US$79.71

Pro Flow Kit with Foam Filter 119.95

I agree the GSXR's totally rip. I really like the CBR. I chose the Honda for quality. The GSXR's will beat it in performance, but the Honda is just put together very well, has great brakes, and is well rounded. There is no real weak part of the package. But those GSXR's have one screaming powerplant. But I don't race, I drive it to work, rip around with buddies, and love to ride. Works for me.

RM