Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best aftermarket heavy duty clutch to put on a Raptor? Mine is still OK but I want to do some research so I'll know what to do when it goes south.

Also, I had a weird problem yesterday. Out riding in the rain and mud for a while. When I pulled back in to the parking lot at the riding area and reved the motor a few times, it didn't want to go back to a slow idle speed right away. It sort of hung up at higher RPMs for a second and then returns to idle after that. Intake Leak? Thanks for any help

Old 11-12-2001, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

More information:

Also, I checked the cable and it moved freely. I also checked the carb boots and they looked fine. I recently installed a DynoJet kit and followed their recommendations for jets. I have a slight hesitation when stabbing the throttle when the bike is warm at idle. They said it was too rich and suggested: third clip on needle or also try turning in the mixture screws a little (2 different techs on two different calls). Do these problems, hesitation and a slight hang up in engine speed (both when engine fully warmed up) seem related? To me, it seems that one points to a lean condition or intake leak somewhere (idle hang up) and the other they say is caused by rich (hesitation).

Old 11-12-2001, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

On our last weekend of riding, I also noticed that I couldn't get mine to idle down (with the idle ****). Figured I had a stuck cable or worse, problems in the carb. Then I noticed alot of play in my thumb lever (cheap bushing or no bushing). It acts like the lever itself is causing the cable to stick. I could let the throttle lever slap back to the stop and it would idle back fine. I used my cable luber and put some oil on the lever from the inside and now it works fine. I,ve been debating on getting rid of the thumb for a twist but like the stocker for the rough trails we ride. Don't know if anyone makes a good thumb throttle. I'm going to take it apart to see if there is any fix to it. Hope this helps.

Old 11-13-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

slappie
on the clutch, barnett makes a stock replacement ($99), GYT-R claims to have a heavy duty replacement (~$110), alba has a modified banshee clutch for the raptor (~$150), someone like 720raptor can probably hook you up with something more exotic.
on the rpms sounds like a stuck throttle or choke cable, I wouldnt worry unless it happens a lot more often than just the once
on the hesitation you may be lean at the low end if you used a dynojet kit you may want to go up on your pilot jets (25 or 27.5)

Old 11-13-2001, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies.

VRaptor,
Do you think I am lean on the bottom end? Dynojet says just the opposite, that I sound rich and to turn in the mixture screws. You think larger pilots is the answer? Just need a little clarification. Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-13-2001, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

slappie
I saw that in your posting, I am not sure where frisco texas is, but I am guessing you are close to sea level. the raptor likes it just a bit rich in the low to mid throttle range and a bit lean at the top end. the dynojet needle will take care of the 1/4--3/4 throttle range, but that often leaves it a bit lean at the bottom which can cause a "slight hesitation". I had a similar problem after putting on my dynojet kit, and adding a set of 25 pilots jet cleared it up, my home base is 5000' which would cause my bike to run rich, but I still needed the bigger pilots. You can try to adjust the airfuel mix, but that mostly affects the idle mix, and trying to adjust the left one without taking off your carbs is tough (less than 1" clearance from your starter). hope this helps

Old 11-13-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

That does help. I am right at sea level. Frisco is real close to Dallas, about 20 miles or so North. Thanks a lot for the info. I'll call DJ to send me some pilots!

Matt

Old 11-13-2001, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

A buddy of mine had a hot idle speed problem with his raptor. The throttle plate was binding in the right carb. It was replaced under warranty.