Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Boiling Gas in my 02 Grizz this is not Safe

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what if i buy that silver heat tape and put some on the carb and near the exhaust will that work?

Old 11-20-2001, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good luck, I have a 2001 grizzly that I have been experiencing the same thing.
My first contact with yamaha they said they had never heard of this before also but after explaining to customer service that if I were in the forest and the thing caught on fire they would be responsible for damages due to neglect on there behalf, they changed there tune. First they had me carry it back to the dealer for carb adjustment. ( this made the problem worse ) After tons of phone calls and waiting on hold they came to the conclusion that the dealer needed to ride with us. A day was set up for him to ride with us and it just so happend that we could not recreate the problem. The dealer suggested I run 93 octane fuel due to pre-detonation. This also a waste of time. The next time I rode the same thing happened I got about three quarters up a hill and it started spudering and the bike flipped over.( this comes after the gas boils for a while) gas was comming out of tube under the bike. Yamaha said to carry it back to the dealer so I did. The dealer put a home-made heat sheld around the carb. this also did not help the problem. (the heat sheild around the carb I later found out was rubbing the throtle cable and put a hole in it that the dealer would not fix. I did not find this out until later. Yamaha did replace the plastic on my bike since it was there fault anyway.) The next ride the same thing again, I asked Yamaha for a refund, they just laughed and said the would fix the problem. Two weeks later a engineer from Yamaha called me and said that I was in fact not the only person having this problem. He said that it was caused from lugging the engine, he explained that it was designed to run hard ( he told me they tested them in the desert over and over at full throtle and had no problems. but someone who rides slow will have a problem, I explained back to him that was good enough reason to give me a refund, he said to take it up with customer service and you know how that goes. The engineer shiped the parts to the dealer ship to "fix" my bike it consisted of a heat sheild that goes around the exaughst and a additional fan with a sensor that is conected to the bottom of the gas tank once it reaches a certain temp its supose to come on and cool down the area. I rode the bike one time and thought it was fixed, shortly after I started working alot of overtime and I bought a new house and I went for almost a year without ridding it. (except around the house once a month) Saturday my freinds called and wanted me to ride. It was the same thing all over again after about four hours of ridding we stoped for a coke and I heard the gas boiling. Soon after we cut out the engine started stalling and gas started comming out of the drain tube. I know yamaha will do nothing my bike is out of warranty now so I guess that is just to bad for me. Take this as a warning do something about it now dont wait too late like I did. (I feel terible about the hole thing because I talked a friend and my father into buying a bike the same time I did, I thought I had researched the bikes enough to know the grizzly was the best but if I knew now what I didnt know then. My friend sold his my dads also has the same problem. The group I ride with consist of kids as well as adults it not like they are getting abuse, and it sad when a 12 year old girl on a 125 honda makes it through a mud hole and the grizzly gets half way through and stalls because of the heat.( I also forgot to tell you that a lot of two-stroke motorcycles boil gas in the tanks they say its nothing I am like you I disagree dont let them fool you, your not the only one, thats what the say because if they told you the truth they would have to buy back a bunch of bikes.
I repeat the heat shield is not a fix.

Old 11-20-2001, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

well, i have a 2002 grizzly, and all i have read has concerned me to the point of really checking mine over. I have 45 hours on it, and not 1 of them is easy. I dont think i am ever not flooring it, jumping it, or bogging it through the mud up to the fender tops. I checked my drive shafts, and could not move one more than an 1/8 of an inch. i have had the fan running on it constantly, and have never witnessed my gas boiling. After reading all of this, i feel lucky not to be experincing all of these problems. I will offer some edvise to those who want to listen though. try tearing it up for a couple of hours, and hard. See if anything goes wrong, like the gas boiling or shafts popping out. if nothing goes wrong, then you will know yamaha built you something that begs to be abused! I think with all the covers on it, going slow might build up too much heat. I hope it holds up for me well, as i am mounting my plow on it this weekend. good luck all!

Old 11-20-2001, 08:55 PM
The Facility

Hey curtis72. I noticed that you live in North Alabama. You wouldn't have happened to buy your bike at Lake Hill in Corinth, Mississippi would you? If you did, that would explain all your problems with the dealership you mentioned. Get another dealer fast.

KNOWSALOT

Old 11-21-2001, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nope I did not buy it a lake hill but... I was thinking of buying a new bike and they sure have some good prices. What have you heard or know bad on them? From what you have posted you have a polaris trailblazer, do you like it? I love my scrambler but I need something with more ground clearance and that is easier to ride two up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2001, 06:43 PM
Range Rover

I drove from florida 750 miles to buy at lake hill bought my grizz
a rancher for the wife a recon for son and had good experience with lake hill but obviously i dont use them for service

Old 12-02-2001, 06:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

The shop advised changing a sensor to make the auxillary fan come on earlier,
with this advise the machines carb will not get hot after a all day ride, I feel
confident this has fixed the problem. Anyone want more in for just post back[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2001, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

please curtis 72 advise me on where to get this sensor, and have you put it on yet? and does it work? thanks bud

Old 12-03-2001, 07:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Insted of buying a new sensor the shop technician sugested I wire the fan up to a auxillary switch, that way it would not cost but $3 for a toggle switch, he assured me that the stator (charging system) would hold up to the fan running all the time. With that idea when I got home I unplugged the fan at the factory conection, ran a wire from the auxillary plug to the factory conection.(that way you dont cut any wires at all and if something were to happen that you would have to carry your bike back in for warranty work you can just plug it back up the way it was no problem at all. By using this auxillary plug as soon as you turn the switch on the fan will run but I think this will allow the carb and gas tank to stay cool.

Old 12-03-2001, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't had the gas boiling either. I have tried to duplicate this problem by riding slow and idling for long periods. Fan comes on but, no boiling.

Quick Reply: Boiling Gas in my 02 Grizz this is not Safe