Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Sitting Pretty/ Jumping like a champ

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode Sat&Sun with the new rear shock from ELKA. ELKA's all around now. What a diffrence!

Installation: Cake. Practically installed itself.

Fit: the resevoir mounted nicely to the stock bracket. The quad now sits nice and low for MX. (I had previously rode with the linkage flipped and had become accustomed to the new height. After i started noticing some stress cracks...i decided this was probably a bad idea and swapped back.) The travel these shocks alow is incredible. When i lift the rear of the quad off the ground i can barely get it up enough to load it on the trailor.

Performance: (Keep in mind i have +3 Lonestar a-arms in front) had the best time jumping this quad thus far( 10pts for the use of the word Thus). The extra pre-load before lift-off was very noticable. Landings were very comfortable. My confidence doubled by sunday. wish i had made the change earlier in the year.

Problem: when i do lift the rear. the swing arm drops all the way until the spring is actually touching the swingarm. after 2 days of aggresive jumping...i Have not noticed any marks on the spring or swingarm. also, i did not notice any noise or feel anything when the swingarm drops during a jump. I have taken digital pics and will be sending them to ELKA.

I'll keep you updated.

i have also been riding with TAG pro-taper bars w/CR250 lowbend. PRM sells a metal plate $10 that replaces the plastic setup for the service lights and ignition. this with the universal mount will allow you to change to pro-taper. This rocks...

I spent most of sat. trying diffrent setting combo's.

Old 11-13-2001, 11:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

660rnh so i guess you are safe from the "dirt doo's" on a mx track. lol.
How long does it take to lap chasman?

Old 11-14-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Please refrain from slandering fellow atv connection members. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2001, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

Hey Raptor 660RNH,
I was really close to getting Elkas for my Raptor but then I broke my wrist from overshooting a double (I don't recommend going too big on stock Raptor suspension). Anyway, while I was healing I changed my mind and got TCS shocks instead. I would love to A,B them against Elka's. The TCS shocks are great especially for jumping. They took a little while to get used to because they ride on the firm side so I was not sure how they would react to whoops and square edge bumps, but I have gone into bumps thinking I was going way too fast (if I was on stock shocks I would have been ejected) and the TCS shocks just deal with it. Having the machine sit about 3" lower has made my Raptor into a real racing machine and I can ride it like one now. I am really satisfied with my shocks. Enjoy the Elka's.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Sitting Pretty/ Jumping like a champ

i just got 3 elka's, no rezzi's in the front

i hit a jump and to my suprise bottomed out the rear a little

i cranked up the compression some but not all the way and if i stay on the gas they are ok

what else should i do, does the preload effect the bottoming out on jumps at all?

i know elka also makes a new linkage for the rear but it is expensive...