Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which Raptor Shocks to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to purchase a new set of shocks for the Raptor. I have been looking at Axis, TCS and Elka. I want to buy one set and not be disappointed. I am not sure if I should go dual or triple rate and wether or not I should go adjustable or fixed. I am looking to buy one set that will last for a long time, so money isn't really a factor. I have seen many of you guys using the TCS's or Elka's but not too many if any using the Axis? Just looking for some advice.

Old 11-14-2001, 03:02 PM
Range Rover

Really, with any of those brands, you won't be dissappointed. As for the double/triple rate, I go double. Alot of shock manufacturers are somewhat hesitant to put triple rates on the Raptor because of it's weight. Double rate works just fine for most applications.

Old 11-14-2001, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

I went with ELKA, my raptor riding partner went with works pro, both are great shocks, I think the ELKA's give a smoother ride, but the works are lighter and look a bit less bulky. Axis, TCS and Ohlins are also good shocks but will cost you more and with the Ohlins you dont get to "custom order" based on weight and riding preference. Triple vs double should be mostly based on weight and how/where you ride. One thing for sure, you will be glad you upgraded your suspension, most of us gain 5mph on most trails just based on improved handling.

Old 11-14-2001, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

My works shocks are a "work in progress". That's a good thing. I started off with the cheap steelers, added rezzies, and changed springs for a softer ride. They were a huge improvement over the DS shocks, but I thought I still wanted a softer ride. Sandy at Works is great to work with, I tried springs that were too soft, and love them. I thought they were too soft, but could go through whoops or rough stuff way faster than with the stiffer springs. Other than dune jumping or MX jumps, I think most people's springs are too stiff. If you've got 12 inches of suspension travel, use it! If I were to race MX I'd throw the stiffer springs on, I can change them in about 15 minutes. And the ride, oh baby the ride!
......With the stiffer springs I was keeping up with the CR500's I was riding with, but not in the whoops. Now I can stay right with them, and I have not bottomed out once, but I have not done a big jump with them either. I can also dial back in a little more spring by replacing the 500 lb helper springs with a 600 lb and not lose any ride, that's next.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2001, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

No matter what you have you can't go wrong with Custom Axis shocks get Triple Rate front and Dual Rate rear.