Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Looking for more HPs! Need advice on cams, pistons, head porting, basically the next level.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 11:08 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all ready done the pipe, filter, jetting, and gearing thing with the bike. It made a tremendous improvement with just those mods. I'm however ready for more now. I like the sound of the CT Racing power package wich includes:

CT is offering a High Output motor package. The kit consists of porting your head, cleaning head and lapping valves, Honing cylinder and fitting piston, high performance cam, top end gasket set, Jet set including CT titanium needles. We used this exact combination to win the Score San Felipe 250 and the Best in the Desert Tonopah 300. This kit adds power from bottom to top, no trade off.

$795.00

I would like to get at least 10-15 HP more. I would also like to keep it from being too radical for trails. To those who have done these types of mods, what did you do and how much performance did you get. Any suggestions other than the CT Racing setup? How about Trinity? I really don't want to get into a big bore or anything that involves tearing the engine completely down. I can take the cylinder off, and everything above it myself.

Please help a fellow raptor owner kick his buddies Banshees azz! And of course just have more power.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-20-2001, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

dan
if it was me I would go with the trinity kit...
they seem to be the only ones who realy know the in's and outs of that motor . I would probably go with the 686 motor they build that would give you the hp your asking for ...if you want all the facts for the kit and any more info raptor 720 has it

Old 11-20-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

I did the same mods as the trinity 686 kit, only i did it using a local yamaha shop to do most of the work. This was mostly because of the 3-4week wait involved in sending my motor to trinity. Here is what I did: I got a 102mm 11:1 high comp piston (J&E), a webcam 696/697 racing cam and valve spring kit. I had the local shop bore and hone my cylinder and do a polish and port on the head. It runs like a racing machine now, has major hit in the midrange. I am still working on dialing it in, since these changes made a big diff on my jetting (high altitude). this is not an option for someone not into the mechanics (which is my passtime), but I love it and my raptor smokes anything around

Old 11-20-2001, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Vraptor. How do you like your ELKA's? What do you have in the rear? If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for the whole setup. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2001, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I got the triple rate piggy backs on the front, I stayed with the stockers in the back. I discussed this with Marty at the quad shop and he felt that with my weight (150lbs) I would not benefit from changing the rear shocks, I was just going to have them rebuilt (revalved) but I seem to be just fine the way things are. I got them a while ago and they were somewhere between eight and nine hundred $, I think they have gone up some since then. I like the ELKA's they are a major improvement over stock, they ride better than Works Pros but look a bit more bulky. I'll probably get the rear shocks this spring anyway as I wear the stockers down