Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Valve adjustment again? already? Hmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 01:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The yamaha shop manual reccommends using a yamaha tappett adjustment tool, part # YM-08035,90890-01311. Costs about $14.00. I ordered mine on 10/2/01, but am still waiting.

Anyone have one of these? Are they worth the wait?

Knowsalot: why the long lead time?

Old 11-30-2001, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't been to this board in a while but a while back I was asking these questions. You might be able to find the thread. In any case 1. I asked a dealer if I could get the adjustment tool and they told me it was discontinued. Go figure on a brand new bike. 2. They told me that they could order one from Kenworth and it would be around $150 for the tool. 3. Feeling that this was a load I went down to a local mom and pop bike shop. I was able to order a tool through them from Motion Pro. The tool is actually 6 pieces. I think it has like two different tappet sizes plus one flat head and three interchangable sizes for the valve nut. You can mix and match depending on what you have. It will work on more than one bike and the mechanic showed it to me because that was what he used. 4. The cost was I think around $30 but I could be wrong. 5. You can also pick up, at the same store for me, small angled feeler guages usually have two different sizes on each end and think there are at least three of them. Just buy the ones you need, about $5.00. 6. I recommend you do the procedure your self. it is really kind of easy but time consuming in removing the plastic, making sure you really have TDC. The poster that really helped tell me about the process was Swytac. He use to adjust his valves after every oil change I think. The first time I adjusted mine, at 20 hours, they were tight on the intake but they were perfect on the exhaust. Swytac reported the same. I have 40 now so I'll be taking a look just for the heck of it and do any adjustment.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

The factory adjustment on valves is often much tighter than their suggested clearance. ( This I guess makes the engine quieter for test drives?? or maybe they count on them wearing open slightly during breakin. )

Anyway, at the specified adjustment it may not be completely quiet anyhow.

3Cross excelent work on catching the dealer. You'll have to do it for me, because I don't allow the dealer to fardle with anything. Beside it takes longer to get to my closest dealer, than it take for ANY maintenence item on my quad.

Old 12-01-2001, 03:50 AM
Trailblazer

I got alot of responses from different people and opinions.

Some individuals Emailed me with verbal assault cause I bashed Yamaha, Some people Talked trash on me cause I set the dealer up, Some individuals claim that I'm causing damage to yamaha's repitation. Somebody said that my comments were bashing Mechanics.

First off, I'm an adult, I won't name the people who have the right to voice there opions.

I will say, yamaha and any other dealer who take advantage of, rip off, Bend that innocent guy over the coals is the one to blame.

No im not bashing yamaha, I love yamaha products, I owned 5, and still own 4.
No Im not bashing mechanics, There are some very talent individuals who will get my business.

I do know Im not as mechanically inclined as some. I HAVE NO MERCY FOR THOSE WHO PREY ON US, AND TAKE OUR HARD EARNED MONEY. ONLY TO NOT FIX, NOT TOUCH, NOT CORRECT AND TOTAL MISLEAD THE UNEXPECTING and TRUSTING customer.
People say I slander them, NO WITH THEM SCREWING ME and MANY MANY OTHERS, They put themselves in that situation. If they would have done the expected work correctly.
I would not have had the need to write what I did.
If I offend anybody, I Did not intend too.

I just state the facts of what happened to me, And what I did to make sure my money is going to get things fixed.

Old 12-01-2001, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

3cross,

What you did I see no fault at. If people are honest then others would not have to go to that resort. Most people that don't know what goes on with repairs always feel like you are getting screwed. I don't think what you did was an attack on the mechanic but you just want to make sure you get what you pay for, honest work. If many others would trust the dealer then they would more than likely bring their machines back for service. A friend of mine is an excellent car mechanic. There are others that are not so hot. Every profession has people that know what they are doing and those that might not belong in there. Just look at tv, about every year or two one show or another does an undercover piece about auto mechanic repair shops. They have the hidden camera, they set the vehicle up and they bust the shops that don't do anything or try to bilk customer. Sorry but the shady shops and mechanics are the ones to blame for the bad rap not the customer. So many people have been taken it is hard to trust and I'm not only talking about mechanics. Look the dealer I went to wouldn't get me the adjusting tool then they would order it at the tune of $70 over priced. The people complaining must read this stuff and take it with a grain of salt. If they are not at fault then they have nothing to worry about. What happened to you if a fact that this happened but at the same time does not mean that this will happen to everyone else. If anyone ios offended by this then stop being a big baby and grow up. For what I paid for my machine I expect excellent service and if they want to keep me coming back then they better be honest. Isn't this what it is all about?