Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor got beat

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 raptor that is stock my buddy has a 2000 650 bombardier that is stock. we went riding last night and lined them up on the road with a 2001 raptor which is stock, a 2001 banshee with fmf pipes and silencers and my raptor. on the take off it was dead even when i hit third gear the banshee started walkin away. when i hit 4th the 650 pulled even with the banshee and they both started pullin away pretty good. the other raptor could't stay up with me i kept pullin on him as soon as i hit 4 th. what do i need to do so i can beat the 650. i am not to worried about the banshee because i dont drag race that much just mostly woods riding. thanx

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2001, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Airbox mods and jetting should be your first upgrade. Your bike will also get faster as it wears in.

Old 12-04-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

you should be able to beat them with the stock set up. Take some time and learn the shift points and you should win.

Old 12-05-2001, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

learning my shifting points might help but we had both quads rapped out in 5 th gear. he was pullin away all the way up to his rev limiter but i could't gain back any ground. what is the best shift point on a raptor?

Old 12-05-2001, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have to disagree. I've beat about 5 stock Raptors when my DS was still stock. If you've rode your friends DS you'll notice it has a strong top end pull. What you need to do is open up the Raptor more. (pipe, filter, airbox etc) Even when I got beat out of the hole by a Raptor I could catch it by then end of the race. My dealer once told me shortly after I bought my quad that if I was behind a Raptor even in 3rd gear, don't worry you'll catch him. My dealer was right.

Old 12-05-2001, 10:09 AM
zoo
Pro Rider

Air filter pipe and jetting will give that little extra boost you might be looking for. If you are looking to keep up with them or even pull away, you can try changing sprockets (go up one tooth in the front), the problem here is although you gain top-end you loose a little zip on the start, and if you ride the woods most often you might not want to sacrifice that.

This usually turns into a never ending battle; now it's just the stock DS650, pretty soon it will be the modified ones. Next thing you know you are wanting to challenge the highly modified banshees and 250Rs and anything else you can find. A vicious circle, but a fun one.

Old 12-05-2001, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

KingRaptor~
You obviously think the Raptor is the best quad ever built with your last post. The raptor has better lowend power and has a better chance of getting the holeshot, but the DS has far more topend power and will clearly win any drag race once into 4th or 5th gear. period.

Old 12-05-2001, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

well said Zoo. WIscrambler good point but i'm not sure i agree with the last part.

Bad660. you need to figure how precisely your going to ride your quad. The mods you will need to make to win drags are going to effect your performance on the trails.

Dragging, is what it is. if you want to win and keep winning your going to need to continue to throw money at it.

so many factors could have contributed to that outcome. rider weights. did you swap rides to eliminate rider error? tires/terra. was everyone on stock tires? what were the surface conditions?

Keep practicing your starts, til your familiar with the pull. break it in before dragging. and swap rides. that will give you a better understanding of what your riding against.

Back to what WIscrambler was saying. The Raptor is a great quad. it's not unbeatable.

and to what Zoo said. it never ends. stockers today. big bored-turbo'd-nitrous monsters tommorow.

Enjoy your ride.

Old 12-05-2001, 05:27 PM
zoo
Pro Rider

It seems like no matter what you do to beat that next person, there will be somebody behind them to beat you, then it's back to the drawing board. My Zilla is the perfect example, I would modify it to beat that next person, until I got to the point where I can no longer outride it (faster than I wanna go), yet I still get beat from time to time.

I say enjoy it just the way it is, maybe when it's time for that rebuild, think about some mods. If I was to modify it, the first thing I would look into would be handling/suspension.

Old 12-05-2001, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Before I put my CT Racing kit on, my friend's DS would pull away from my Raptor. Now it's no contest. Night and day.

RM

Quick Reply: Raptor got beat