Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee owners a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how often do you need to rebuild it? How reliable is it? How well does it trail ride (Not tight trails) how much air can you get without bottoming out?

Old 12-17-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

I will try to answer a few of your questions.

<< How long until you rebuild it? >>

Well..I bought mine new in 97. I rebuilt it once since then, going once over on the bore. I am lmost ready for my second rebuild. Probably in the spring. My machine is ridden pretty hard. It all depends on how radical you like to run your jetting. If you run it lean..you can expect to rebuild more often than if you run a bit on the rich side.

<< How reliable is it? >>

I feel it is quite reliable if taken care of...IE: keep up with all lubes, chain adjustment, clean filter, tighten bolts..etc.

<< How well does it trail ride (Not tight trails) ? >>

I rode mine stock on the trails for a long time before I decided to make any changes. It is very reliable and plenty drivable once you get used to it's &quot;different&quot; power band. I found that by upgrading the A-arms(+2+1) and a -1 swingarm, it was a whole new machine. Much better for trails or MX.

<< how much air can you get without bottoming out? >>

With stock suspension and an average weight rider. (under 200 for sure...more like 170), you can jump it plenty far. If you are landing on flat ground...then you may be limited to 5 ft in height or so(give or take). If you have a good sloped landing..then much much higher. After market suspension increases the jumping in a big way. The most important thing is to make sure your suspension is set up for you..and your riding style. The ergo/chasis mods I listed above made the bike much more stable during jumps...Eliminating the nose heavy feeling that a stock banshee has.

Old 12-17-2001, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

well i have had my banshee for about 7 months and i love it. i dont know about the rebuilding part cause i havent reeched that yet but some of the other stuff i can help u with.

reliability

i have hade no problems with mine in the 7 months i have owned it. it even starts right up on the first kick most of the time.

trail riding

well i didnt like it with the stock tires so i went with some stock raptor tires that i found for sale that were slitely used (a recomendation for any banshee owner) and that made all the difference.

jumping

well in this part i think that sayit_fmf is right. i am at 200lb so the jumping is limited with flat ground but on an mx track i have jumped mine 60ft at weatherford.