Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GRIZZ SWAY BAR

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of some sway bar disconnects available for off-road trucks and jeeps.

http://www.warriorproducts.com/POP%2...R83021_jpg.htm

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to make a scaled-down version for a Griz. May have to try once I get mine.

Bri

Old 01-08-2002, 01:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You were getting the run around from the dealer. I've seen the spanner wrenches at the local dealer and they were like $10-15.

My preloads are on the 4rth setting (next to stiffest) in the front (due to the weight of the winch, and the middle setting in the rear. I will probably put the rears on the 4rth setting as well, because I can still hear the tire hit the edge of the fender sometimes on jumps or hard bumps. I've even cut some of the plastic away. I think the 4rth setting would probably be fine for me.

I wish the weather would warm up some. I haven't rode in like 3 weeks, and that was a miserably cold day.

Old 01-08-2002, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

Just took the sway bar off my 660. What a difference! As I said to Andy a while back, the Grizz is a huge disappointment for an IRS machine with the sway bar on. Not much better than a solid axle and way worse than Arctic Cat ACT for those of us lucky enough to have experienced it. Once I took the sway bar off and rocked the bike back and forth, I knew it was going to be a much better ride. It's easy to rock the tires off the ground with the bar on, but near impossible with it off.

As for high speed trail riding, it is a disadvantage. I had to work hard to keep up with a little pesky Rancher 4x4 this weekend in the woods without the bar on. Have ridden the exact same trail behind the exact same rider before and never even noticed he was trying to loose me. Now I have to admit I was afraid I was going to find a tree. Without the bar on the trees seem to inch their way out into thr trail a little more if you know what I mean. Steering is soft and tends to push.

OK. Fast trail riding is not what I do 90% of the time, so I still love the bike way more with the bar off. It articulates 100% better. I left the shocks set at 1 click from softest (factory setting), so that played a part in the poor steering. I'm going to click it up one click all around and see if I notice a difference. As the shocks wear in I'm sure I'll be moving them up again soon.

As for the price of the spanner wrench, it amazes me how many dealers try to price gouge! I got mine from a NY dealer in Queensbury for $9! I was actually ready to pay $15-$20, so that was cool.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Brian~

Thank's for the pic! You're right, that doesn't look too difficult. I'll have to put some thought on that...it would be nice to have the very best of both worlds.

SilverBear

Old 01-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Andy~

How have you been? So, how cold does it get in arkansas? You guys don't get snow down there do you? Have you thought about hot grips? They have a high setting and a low setting, which for me will be perfect for late fall and early spring riding.

SilverBear

Old 01-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

NYMudder~

Taking the sway bar off the Grizz does make it an entirely new machine. It turns it into the perfect quad for my kind of riding. This weekend I'm going to see if I can't get my preloads changed a bit and try it out for size.

SilverBear

Old 01-09-2002, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

Silverbear, please keep us posted on your results....

NYmudder, are you running stock tires and rims? You will definitely notice a difference by adjusting your preloads. It's just a matter of finding the perfect set-up for your type of riding. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2002, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Trailraker~

I sure will [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Old 01-10-2002, 02:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its been in the 20's at night for the past week, and maybe up to 40 in the day sometimes. Normally in the mid 30's lately. Today it was almost 70 I think. It was 41 tonight, but this is pretty warm weather. We haven't got any snow other than a few flakes, but we do get snow pretty good some years.

Last year we got a buttload of ice Christmas night, and folks were with without power in places for like 2 weeks. Big mess. In 99, we got about 8 inches of snow in January. Hopefully we'll get some this year. I'm ready to have a 2wd machine again in the snow. All I had last time was the full time 4wd AC with wide front tires that pushed hard, and you could barely steer it. The grizz would be a blast in the snow with the crappy stockers on.

Old 01-10-2002, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

Andy~

Wow, I didn't realize you folks had such a wide range of temperatures there. I guess it just shows my ignorance. The few times I've been down south (tennessee, carolina, georgia) it was rotton cold up here in the north, and t shirt weather down there.

I have to tell you, riding in the snow on the Grizz is a kick in the pants. I've had such a blast on it, and that's even with the claws on! My God, the rooster tail of snow you can throw with those puppies. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My father in law was riding behind me a couple weeks ago and after the ride he said they should have named the tires "blizzard". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Wasn't your Cat 2WD/4Wd selectable?

SilverBear

Quick Reply: GRIZZ SWAY BAR