Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Older Banshee jeting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, a question concerning the needle/seat. The needle has a small plunger extending out of the end of it. One one carb, it moves freely in and out but on the other one, it will not move. Which way is correct? I assume it should be free to move in and out. ???

Old 12-25-2001, 03:11 PM

A small plunger extending at the end of the needle?
Would you care to elaborate a little more,i am a bit confused here.

Old 12-25-2001, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Right! It is on the end that hangs with the small wire hanger and connects to the floats. The one that works extends about 1/4 inch and can me pushed into the end of the needle. The other one is stuck in the down position. It is kind of hard to explain I guess. I have not had many dealings with motorcycle carbs. Only cars and I have not seen this before.

Old 12-25-2001, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Ok! I think we can forget about the carb problem for a while.

Yeah, thanks guys. I went ahead and pulled the cylinders and it was not a pretty site. The pistons looked nearly new but the left cylindeer
had a deep gouge from top to bottom and about a 1/4" wide and the right one had a similar one. The left piston had absolutely no carbon
and was bright and shiney as if it has never fired. The right one had carbon but not a large build up. The piston skirts even look almost
new. I suspect that someone replaced the pistons and rings and did not touch the cylinders when it went sour before. I think they are
gouged so bad the cylinders need to be replaced and someone just did not want to go to the expense and do it right. The rings were really
worn bad on one side. On the left piston, the top ring was worn down to about half of it's original width in a spot about 1 1/2" around and on
the front side of the piston. Very egg shaped. All had this wear pattern but at different locations on the ring. The right one was also very
egg shape but worn in a different position also. I plan on taking it to a shop that builds racing bikes tomorrow if the are open and see what
they say. I don't think the cylinders can be bored. The pistons are stamped 2.00 MM. Am not sure how much the cylinders can be
machined. They should be able to tell me.
Like they say "There is nothing wrong with it that money can't fix!"