Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

my ride review of the Grizz

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally got to go to my ucles to go ride his new Grizz and heres what I thought of it:

First off, this thing has power! I still am not a big fan of the automatic lag but I did notice as well as my dad, that once this thing hits about 20 mph on the speedo it took off! I am not used to getting beat in a drag race, never have actually, I have the fastest 4-wheeler around, until now. Anyways this thing just killed my 300EX in a drag race. I had it up to 67 on the speedo and it was still climbing! Talk about power! Also the suspension was awesome, and it didn't take any time to adjust to the different ride like I thought it would, it kind of felt like a swing arm was back there but I went over logs with one tire just to see if it worked (I knew it would but I wanted to try) You guys were right about how my 300EX would beat it in the woods, but not by much. I think with a little more time on it I could be just as fast.

I also did a little mudding with it, but nothing serious, because I never had a need to go into 4 wheel drive, but I did when I was climbing hills. I must say that I didn't like climbing it because, well it felt weird, but thats another one of those things that I would have to get used to. I am used to being able to see over the front of my 300EX, and I couldn't do it on the grizz. And as big as it was (and that I didnt want to crash it since its not mine) I was a little timid about attacking the hill, I did attack one hill and the front went skyward but I made it, but it was scary (being that there is over 600lbs that can potentionally come back down on you, I think anyone would be scared). I also had a chance to use the diff. lock, its a cool feature but I never made it up a hill faster, but thats probably not what its used for, and the steering was harder, but still doable.

Pros:
Fast
Lots of power
suspension
4-wheel drive
looks awesome
feels like a sport quad
sounds cool (not as cool as a Prairie though)
range selector

Cons:
automatic lag
kind of scary climbing steep hills (that might change with more experience)
kind of makes a whining noise (probably the belt)
low range is a little to low for me

So that is my unbiased review of the new Grizzly, now if I can just get my hands on a Prairie 650...

Old 01-06-2002, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lag time?Compare the lag time on the new Grizz to the lag time on other automatic ATVs,its really alot better than most others.

ANY 4x4 ATV will scare you a little climbing steep hills,you'll get over this with a little more time on it.Its just a total differant feeling riding a 300ex and than jumping on a Utility ATV.

Bill

Old 01-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

I know that the lag time isn't as much as other automatics but it does still have a lag. Its just not instant like my 300EX is what I meant.

Old 01-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Hey,

Glad you got to ride it, and by the sounds of it, you weren't dissapointed. I'm used to riding 4X4 quads, and the first time I rode the Grizz...well it not only blew me away, but I went home with it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks for the review. Nice to see things like that coming from people other than Grizzly owners. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SilverBear