Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Crashed Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, This one hurt. Enjoy...

Doing laps with 3 other Raptors in a sand pit in NH. Frozen Ground, with pathches of Ice and Snow. This pit had some monsterous hill climbs. worthy of Huevos V. anyway, after one Raptor rolled and another bent his tierod and upper A-arm. we decided we should stop the climbing and start lapping it through the pit and trails.

As always, it happened on the last lap as fatigue started to set in. i was third and we just came out of the trails and flew up a hill and started our run across the top of it. Raptor 2 decides to overtake the leader and does so successfuly. Smelling opportunity, i get on the gas looking for my chance. the trail now takes a sharp turn to the left and drops down a 40-50ft hill. Here's where all hell breaks loose. after 7-8 laps with 4 raptors, the ground was softening up and my extra throttle was going to make the next 2.5 seconds of my life and my quads life very interesting.

as i come tearing around and down the rear begins to slides out. not alot. but enough to force me to stear to the right and compensate. Problem. Right next to the path down the hill is a 5ft wide wash out from top to bottom, approximatly 4ft deep. right tires hooked up and in we went. I wish i had memories of my flight down the rest of the hill. well, maybe it's better i don't.

it's been over a week now. the swelling in my knees has gone down enough for me to walk without a cane. and the frozen dirt rash has healed enough that cotton no longer feels like sand paper against my skin.

Who cares about you. what about the Raptor? well my prm desert bumper looks like a pretzle. it sheard two of the four bolts holding it and creased the very front of the frame. at first glance, it looked like my lonestar a-arms were trashed. closer inspection revealed absolutly no damage to the a-arms or the tierods. They did what they were designed to do...they held strong while the ball joints gave. all but one were snapped. left front light smashed.

I'm undecided about the performance of the PRM bumper. on one hand it damaged the frame. on the other. it protrudes so far out from the quad it doesn't let anything near it. i'm convinced, my old GYT-R bumper would have aloud damage to the front plastics,headlights and radiator.

Bottom line: i lived to ride another day. helmet,chest protector, pants, gloves, riding boots. scrapped, torn, or broken. in fact. the only area not protected were my knees(for the last time). and other than my wallet thats the only area that i sustained damage

Next purchase: Bumper, Ball joints and azonic Knee protectors.

Keep the rubber side down.

by the way, Happy New Year. 2001 sucked.

Old 01-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

OUCh!!!!!!

That is one of those stories we all hate to hear

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I am glad that your alright, and your machine is rebuildable.

From what you said, Your injuries could of been alot worse...

Old 01-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

im sorry to hear about this..i hae had 4 crashed that i remember but none that compare to yours. i hope you heal back as good as new and your raptor too

Old 01-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

sorry to hear that man...my worst wreck was flipping it bakwards down a hill, just breaking a tierod..hope you get better and get your machine goin again soon.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

About 8 months ago I was racing. Was coming 2nd.....the raptor in front was kicking up so much dust that I couldnt see in front of me. Of course when the addrenaline is pumping, one doesnt think of slowing down. I over-ran the track missing a corner at full tilt. Luckily for me (NOT!) I hit the gradded earth that was removed from the track when it was built. This brought me to a very sudden halt pitching me over the handle bars. Fortunately (NOT!) I cushioned the landing of my 200kg + raptor. I clean snapped my femur in half and spent the next 8 days in hospital. I have since recovered extremely well with my steel pins holding my leg together. Thanks to modern medicine, 2 months later I was back on my bike and still having a blast. No major damage to the bike other than bent cosmetics and bars. Tyres also came off the rims.
All in all I could have been killed when the bike hit me...so I count myself very fortunate.
These sort of things unfortunately happen, but generally make us better riders.

Ride safe...but keep it on the edge.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hate to hear the unfortunate news Chet. Glad to hear you are OK. I've been in your situation before......I and my Raptor know all too well how you and yours feel....lol. Come back faster!!
P.S. Now would be a good time for some engine work.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

hit a jump and quad started goin sideways on me. i landed completely sideways. when my quad hit the ground my foot slipped off the footpeg and slammed into ground. broke that ankle. the other foot bent my heelguard down and into the tire. foot was in cast for 8 weeks. back in the saddle again but ankle will never be the same.

Old 01-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Banned

Hi Raptor660RNH,

I can feel your pain. I'm glad that you are alive. I had an accident myself with my machine, going up a very big hill when my machine stalled almost at the top. I thought that I had enough gas, but I didn't so that was the cause of the machine stalling. Anyway, it happened so fast that I had no time to turn the machine back down the hill and I felt it starting to lean back, so knowing that I have insurance on it, I just bailed off!. Luckly, I came away with only scratches.

The bike flipped over 4-5 times doing extensive damage. both front and rear plastics are cracked, GYT-R heal guard on right side is bent along with the foot peg. Rear bumper snapped off along with the fender stays, bent muffler, bent axle.

IronBear

Old 01-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

Thik I'll spend tonight reviewing my atv insurance policy, along with my life and health insurance.

Old 01-09-2002, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

sorry about your crash, but i think we all can learn a thing or two from your story. these quads get with the program and you can really screw your self up if you don't have the right gear on. believe me, i know. i learned the hard way. two bad wrecks, once over the bars and once flipped over backwards, and both times the mighty raptor choose to ride on me for a while. i now wear a chest protecter and boots when i "ride with the boys". we love to play race, but it sucks when someone gets hurt.