Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What do you guys think about this?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering how you think my Wolverine with my mods listed below would do aginst a Scrambler??? If i need more mods just to keep up what are they? Ive never ridden a Scrambler so I dont know what they have.

Old 01-13-2002, 05:43 PM
wyd
Range Rover

The friends I ride with have Scramblers. They are faster in a all out race but I can keep up well in the trails. I have a K&N Jet Kit, FMF MegaMax2 pipe, and Pro Design Pro FLow Filter and they are still faster. I also have 23" tires so your will loose some handling and power with the 25" tires on them.

You should have more ground clearance and better traction with the 4wd. Also have a little lighter machine than the guys with Scramblers. Remember you give up 150cc so get them in the tight trails. All in all I keep up fine since we don't just drag race all day. We mainly trail ride and climb hills.

Old 01-13-2002, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

wyd thank you for replying. Do the Scramblers blow you away in the drag race or can you stick fairly close. When I got my wolverine I got it with the 25" tires on it so I have never ridden it without them. I dont know if I take the 25"s off and put the original 23's back on if I will significantly drop in top speed. I would rather run 23s because of the handling issues though and it will help it to accelerate quicker. My bike will run 63mph with just the jet kit I dont know what it will do since then. How bad will the Scrambler leave me on the straight aways? Another thing I was wondering was with the 23s if maybe it will just rev a little higher and have the same top speed and have better acceleration or if I am sacrificing one for the other? Thank you for your help.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

Back when I bought my 95 Wolverine,my buddy picked up a 400 Scrambler,we went riding with a Foreman and a Big Bear 4x4, on streches of gravel between trails,we left them so far behind we would shut off our motors and wait for them to catch up ! In a drag,both stock,the 400 would take the holeshot,but I could stay about 10ft behind him,top end was almost the same,I couldn't catch him, he couldn't pull away. The only satisfaction I had was pulling him out 2 times, the low clearance on the back hung him up in the muddy ruts. No slam on Polaris, I liked it, the 2 stroke was sporty,and optional 2wd is nice for fun riding,but I like the gears and extra gound clearance.
I have been mulling over the 23 to 25 tire issue,I would like to know what people have been using, and how it affects your Wolverine. I am planning on a slight performance rebuild, like .040 over, 10.25 piston, low end cam,I already have a pipe and jet kit,so I should see enough to turn bigger tires, I don't want mudders, just a 25 good for all around work/trail/sport. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

Old 01-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

Well if it went 63 with only a jet kit,it will go about 70 now,and a stock Scrambler will do 65 and a piped will do 68

Old 01-14-2002, 09:07 PM
wyd
Range Rover

When I race the Scramblers my buddies have they can pull away pretty easily. I had mine to 55 when I was tracking it with my GPS. It will go faster as it was still pulling. Will it go 65 I don't know. I know the GPS gives the most accurate speed check I can think of.

With 23" tires you should be able to accelerate faster. Top speed should be almost the same but with lighter tires you will make out alot better. Handling will be alot better as well.

Old 01-14-2002, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. YellowTRX400EX I may have confused you on that one, I had the 25in tires on it too because it came with them. The stock top speed is 58-59mph and may very depending on the surface. As far as the tire issue I dont think that there will be that big of a change in the performance at top end. I will try and tell you guys what happens, if I can get a beadbreaker. I know that my bike won't do 70mph but 65-66 maybe, 70mph would be nice though. I dont see how they can just leave me sitting. I dont know if that will happen. I was just curios to whether they were going to be so much faster it wasnt going to be funny. I guess it wont. I have been planning to put some other performance things on my bike for a long time. The next thing I am interested in is an FST manual clutch. I know there have been alot of people ask about them and people are probably sick of hearing about it but does anyone have anyomore info in them?? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Range Rover

Hey guys, I just got some 23" Titan's put on replacing my 25" dirt devils that the dealer put on. The 23" is much more fun. You can tell how much lighter it is & slides alot easier now. I can feel a lose of traction in the mud & deep water, nothing serious but you can tell the difference. I thought I would have to do alot more shifting but not really & the take off is excellent. I guess its all in what you want. I'm going for more of a sport oriented wolverine. Thats the beauty of our quads.

Old 01-15-2002, 12:04 PM
Range Rover

I have 25" Bear Claws on my Wolverine and I find there a great all around tire. With my mods, I find they pull them with ease. I can break them loose with a little shot of the throttle. I have never tried a Wolverine with 23" tires but if I were to buy some, I would probably go with all tracs. I seen them on the Wolverine that won the GNCC races last year and they must perform well if there using them to race GNCC. I also seen another Wolverine with a set on and they looked good. If I was to buy another set of 25", I would probably go with Bear Claws again. You can see my 99 Wolverine on My Site

Oh yeah, just read my reply and forgot to mention that on the road, my brother followed me with my car and I got up to 65 miles/hour. This was on a flat road and we drove for 1 mile. That was my top speed. In the dirt I probably wouldn't quite get to that speed but on chip seal road thats what I got.

Old 01-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

95Wolv, Like slywolf75 said already the Maxxis All Tracs would be a good choice, thats probably what I would go with if I were putting new ones on. Maxxis makes a good tire. Anymore opinions?

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this?????