Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Badlands Indiana?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have also spent a lot of time in both places and can give you a pretty good opinion on both locations. As far as pros and cons go, Attica I like it a little better because of the sand. I'm a sand rat stuck in Indiana, where woods riders rain. ITs pretty frustrating because most of my friends would rather go ride in hair scramble environments, and if you like woods that much then I would go for Haspin Acres. Be careful though, about a year and half ago. I was riding the larger MX track and they had just reformed the entire track or so I thought. I came up on the last section at about 25mph and up a hill just to find that they pushed a huge amount of sand up the hill and basically just let it tumble over the other side. Needless to say I endowed the front end straight into the ground and went over the handle bars after about a 5 foot verticle drop. I was OK but pretty pissed off. The owners are red necks by the way, I can say that I grew up down south...hehe! And the MX tracks aren't all that because they are stuck in an identity crisis between trying to be a MX track for motorcross bikes and one for ATV's ..As far as Attica goes it is a lot of fun espially when their are a lot of riders there. They dont allow camping in the parh though. And once you have been there a couple of times it gets kind of old only because there are only really 2 large sand areas. I say this when comparing it in size to Little Sahara in Utah. I know I'm now screwed and ruined for life. Alot of guys think Attica is the best thing in the world. But these same guys have never been somewhere like Glamis or Little Sahara. Many of my friends stop going to Attica and now ride on private property. I will be making a trip to Little Sahara OK though this fall 2002. If I like it I may take the extra 12 hour trip down there a couple times a year. Silver Lake is also an option for you however I would check out there strict rules first so you don't show up for nothing just to be turned away. Also a buddy and I use to frequent Dugger IN, a couple of years ago. This place had some of the most treacherous terrain I have ever seen. Vary steap cliffs and hills. Many inpassable. All woods. I think they have now officialy made Dugger a State Rec area though and have set up boundaries. I don't know for sure its been a while. I have also heard that Ohio has some good areas. I'm still trying to find out where that one area is in Ohio with all the sand and wide open land on the Heuveos II video. They seemed to have alot of sand there. Oh well...goodluck!

Old 01-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

mich660griz, for the distance, I would guess it would be about the same time it would take u to get to Cincinnati from Detroit, probalby alittle more like a 1/2 hour, you can camp anywhere in the park. And I know u can fit the 30 footer because I have seen people bring semi's, with the full 50 foot trailer hailin their toys. I put the 2 maps I have on this site My Maps If you still have questions, feel free to ask

Old 01-19-2002, 09:37 AM
Range Rover

Hey cctman are you talking about Redbird riding area. I live about a half an hour from there and ride there frequently. I flipped last year off the famous hill called powerline and broke all the plastic off my banshee. Let me know if were thinking about the same place.

Old 01-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

Hey DennisC,

Tell me more about this riding place. I have heard of it but do not know where it is. I live west of indy and always looking for places to ride.

Thanks KD

Old 01-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I GO ABOUT 8 TIMES A YEAR AND I LOVE IT..I THINK IT IS WORTH THE 2HR DRIVE.I ALSO THINK ANYONE WHO GOES WILL BE PLEASED WITH WHAT THEY FIND.THE BADLANDS IS A BIG PLACE AND IN 2-3 DAYS YOU CAN COVER MOST OF IT BUT IT IS ALWAYS CHANGING..

Old 01-21-2002, 06:32 AM
Range Rover

Hey Kevin
If your talking about Redbird it's between Jasonville Ind. and Linton. Not a bad place to ride. It's mostly steep hills. Right now the DNR is in their supposedly making a public riding area. Supposed to be the first in the state of indiana. Just hope they don't tear it up to bad. They've already got some of the area blocked off. It's not a bad place to ride but I here when it's all settled their will be a fee to ride and you will have to have you atv registered. Then I don't know if it will be worth it or not. The reason I ride there is I have a buddy that lives right beside it. Always nice to have a safe place to park. From where it sound's you live I think I would head for Haspin Acres. Have a great day.

Old 02-15-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

For what its worth I will be heading to Attica tommorow. The weather from what they are saying is suppose to be pretty nice. I will be pulling my banshee and also be taking my younger son. Hope to see you guys if anybody shows up. Let me know if anybody would like to hook up at a later date to ride their. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

CCTMAN,
I've been up there the past 2 weekends. I really like it there. Thought about going again Sun., but I've decided to stay home. I would like to get meet you up there at some point. We go pretty frequently. How old is your boy? Mine is 7. I took him and his new 4 wheeler last weekend. He did very well. I have to lookout and pick the easy paths for now though.

Old 02-17-2002, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

stebob
Sounds like a good plan. We will have to meet up sometime soon. I did go Saturday, but my son is only 4. Not quite old enough to ride by himself. I was fairly dissapointed though, because I couldn't find it anywhere on there website about not riding two up. Espially when the passenger is that small. I had driven 2 hours up there just for them to say I couldn't ride with him on my ATV. Usually he rides between the the tank and I on my banshee. So instead of turning around Saturday and driving another 2 hours back home, I parked at the far end of the riding area, and rode him around anyway. I figured I would ride until I got caught and kicked out of the park. I hadn't been to attica in about 2 years and never with a passenger, however this was the first place I have ever been where they don't allow a passenger to ride with you on an ATV. They didn't have this rule in Haspin Acres, Dugger, or even LS Utah to my knowledge. Oh well, I guess until he gets old enough to ride solo, we wont be riding together anymore at Attica, I'm just a little dissapointed. I almost feel like they want to enforce that rule there so you will be forced to bring another quad their in which they can charge you for another ATV. I do have another friend that may be getting a 400ex this week so we may be up there again either next weekend or the following. I will let you know.