Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Prairie 650 vs. Grizz 660

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Jscyoung, and everyone else who is interested, despite the fact that I don't think that the Prairie is the best looking Quad, I went ahead and bought one today! They offered me a killer deal, so I just couldn't pass it up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I got it for $6,400.00 out the door. That includes all tax, and fees. The actual price of the Prairie was a little over $5,600.00 not bad considering that it retails for $6,995.00 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]I want to thank everyone for their input on this quad, and helping me with the decision. Especially those of you who passed on to everyone what they had paid, that really helped me negotiate the best price today. Now only if I wasn't going to be out of town until Friday. It is going to be so hard to wait until then to ride it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2002, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

SupterTiger~

You know, we always forget something on our trips, and this time it was the camara. *sigh* But, my motherinlaw had her digital camara and she's sending me pics hopefully tomorrow. I'll get some up when her's come in. The Grizz is going in tomorrow for some scheduled maintance...I'm hoping to have 'r back by the weekend. If I do, I'll do those flex pics. If it's not done by then, I will do them the following weekend. Let me know how your Grizz feels w/o the sway bar on your stock tires. I've heard other's say they thought the body roll was too noticable on their stock setup. If it is, try tightening up your preloads. I'm curious to see what you think. I will bypass my diff limiter when I do the flex pics, so it's not done...yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Area51~

Congrats on the new quad! Sounds like you got a heck of a deal. Please keep us informed on how you like it and how it does for you. The Prairie is a top of the line quad, and you should get a lot of enjoyment out of it. (Did you get a winch with it?)

SilverBear

Old 02-05-2002, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

SilverBear, thanks for the congrats. I didn't get a winch yet, I will add those things on as the new wares off, that way it will continue to be exciting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] One question I do have though, I notice you saying that you are taking your Grizz in for scheduled service. Did you purchase a service plan. I purchased the extended warranty, but not the service plan. They wanted $1,500.00 for their service plan. That seamed like too much, and I didn't want to get ripped off. Did I make a mistake? Should I have bought this service plan? It would have covered something like 6 services over the next couple of years.

Thanks

Old 02-05-2002, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Area51~

No, I haven't bought an extended warrenty, yet. I put it off because the dealer I purchased my Grizz from wanted around 700.00. I've always been screwed by those things so said no thanks. When I discovered my front left axle did the slide thing, I took it in and had a war on my hands to get them to take care of it. Suffice it to say, they didn't. I found another dealer who is taking care of it (and I didn't even buy the quad from him) and he also offered me the same 3 year extended warrenty for $330.00. For that price, and the fact I know this guy will take care of me, I'm going to get it.

$1500.00 sounds pretty spendy to me, maybe you can call around to some other Kawi dealers and ask them what kind of a deal they can make you. I'm still on my original 6 month warrenty with the Grizzly which is up in 30 days. With Yamaha, you can purchase the extended warrenty any time within the first 6 month period. (Maybe Kawi is like that too, if so...certainly save your money if you decide to do this until the end).

Now you said you purchased the extended warrenty but this extra $1500.00 is for the service plan. What does the service plan cover that the warrenty doesn't? I've not heard of this w/Yamaha, but will certainly ask tomorrow.

SilverBear

Old 02-05-2002, 02:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Actually the holes on my ITP's were too small or tight. I couldn't hardly get the rims back off after I had them on. Had to knock out the studs to get the fronts off. I took a drill and widened them all out, and I don't have any problems now. Haven't ever had any problem with them loosening, but I use an impact to put them on with.

Old 02-05-2002, 02:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Silverbear- How much did the aluminum cv-guards run you? Those look sweet. I need to get something for mine before long, and I've never seen them on the yamaha website before. All I've seen was the highlifter stuff.

Old 02-05-2002, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

Andy~

Thanks for the info! When you torc yours down with an impact, what do you set it too? Thanks, I was pretty happy with how those guards looked too. I haven't found them on the yamaha site, but it is in their 2002 ATV Accessories & Apparel catalog on page 29. The Front A-Arm Guards (part #ABA-5KM34-10-00 are $99.95 & the Rear A-Arm Guards (part #ABA-5KM34-20-00) are $99.95 as well. I got 10% off that price from the Sandpoint dealer I bought them from. The front bash/skid plate is also worth it (#ABA-5KM34-40-00 - $99.95), it actually replaces the plastic front skid plate, so it goes down the first 1/3 of the Grizzly. They also offer that armor in Gray Hard Anodized aluminum. I've seen it as Yamaha shipped me half my order with that and half with/brushed the first time. The Anodized is harder, but its =really= dark, so much so I didn't care for the looks of it next to the brushed aluminum. It runs $5.00 more.

SilverBear

Old 02-05-2002, 06:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I didn't torque them. I just eyeball it and make sure they are tight. I've never messed anything up doing that, and if I did lugnuts and studs are easy to replace.

Old 02-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

SilverBear, the $1,500.00 service plan was to cover all the scheduled maintennce, like the first 10-hour, and every so many miles after that. You know all the oil changes, spark plugs, inspections and stuff like that in your manual under schedule service. It seamed like allot of money to me. I can change my oil, air cleaner and all that stuff. But I think some of the stuff is supposed to be done by the dealer; I hope that it doesn't affect my warranty. I paid the whole $699.00 for a 3 year extended warranty, sounds like I got screwed there, but I was afraid that since this is a first year model, that something would break, and I would have to pay a fortune to get it fixed. This way, at least I have peace of mind. So the difference between the two, is just that the extended warranty covers any thing that breaks on the quad or goes wrong, the service plan just covers routine scheduled maintenance, like oil changes and air filter, inspections and valve adjustments and the like.

Old 02-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

hey andy,
i was wondering, when you got the new tires, did you ask for offsetting rims, or was it just the way it is to get them. when i bought my titans 589, i also got the itp aluminum rims, with 26 in tires. well, it took my grizzly from being 46 inchs wide to a full 50 inchs wide. i love the feeling of stability i get from them, but dont much like them on open trails due to the added weight and inability to powerslide with them. i took some before, during, and after pics of them, and if you look, you can easly see the width differance. i am next going to remove my swaybar, just to see how much better the stability gets. i have read many places in here where you have talked about the better travel you acheved without the swaybar on, and i am becoming more and more ancious to do it! after putting on the wench, i adjusted my front shocks all the way, due to my love of airtime, and am wondering how it might be on the rear without the swaybar? should i go streight to full adjustment once the swaybar is removed? if you look into my pics, you can see i do try to go high and long every once in a while, and am scared i might blow a tire through the plastic without the swaybar. thanks buddy!!!

my pictures

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 vs. Grizz 660