Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor or ds 650!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 05:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

howdy shizznit from michigan;I have a 2001 raptor If you want comfort,stability and a bike that isnt tippy go for the ds.this is my opinion, if you do more riding in big open spaces the ds is great,.,.If you want mainly to ride in the bush then the raptor is a better choice.,If you get a raptor you will find that the gearing is up the $@!* Ive changed mine a little and it still isnt as it should be,.,.low isnt low enough and high isnt high enough.,.,Ive raced a ds in the dunes and can beat it.,on the ds the rev limiter is set lower than the raptor .,.,the raptor is useless for hill climbs with short run ups .,.,it is a combination of the gearing and not being able to keep the front down,.,.can I go on $@!* yeh if you get a raptor ,just wait till you try a rocky hill climb, this is all Im going to say for now,.Well which bike is better,, I say the raptor but personaly I,m biding my time watching and waiting for the perfect bike to come along ha so there you have it bye,.,.,.

Old 01-27-2002, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

shizznit,
Most trails we ride in lower Mi. are all suited for the narrower Raptor. My buddy added a wider axle on his and it gets tight in alot of spots. As said, it all depends on what kind of riding you do. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2002, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shizznit, like westassie said, if you like steep hill climbs, the raptor will flip over easier, if the trails are wide enough, ds would work, except no reverse. I think no matter which one you get you will find something you will want to change. With the ds the rev limiter kicks in to early, you will notice this if you drag race.

Old 01-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Both great quads, 2002's are even better. Reverse in not an issue because the Raptor's reverse is geared so high it is useless when you really need it. I have a DS and my son has a Raptor. I like mine better, he likes his better. Even the 2002's will need front shocks, the stock front shocks suck, but the rear shocks are okay and can be rebuilt if you want better. Where you ride, how you ride, and how big you are should be the determining factors. They both like mods.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2002, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. I have rode the ds and I did not like the front end! In sand it felt like it was going to throw me off. I test rode this bike about a year ago. I have owned a new 2000 400ex and sold it about a year latter for a rubicon. The ex never felt small to me at all. My brother owned a 300ex and if he got stuck in the snow he had the option of reverse. That is nice. New for 2002 the raptor has lower 1 2 3rd gearing plus lower reverse. Some mags say you cant really tell? Well the new ds sells for 5,500 the raptor for 5,600. with out tax around here. I think the ds might hold up longer? It looks like it is made tough. Maybe that is why it is so heavy. What fun!

Old 01-28-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Shizznit,
check out the "bomb forum. You can adjust the DS's toe-out settings it helps a bunch. The 02 DS's have a different setup than the 00's & 01's also.

Old 01-29-2002, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Dont take this the wrong way i think the raptor is a great bike but just wondering if it is the gearing that makes the raptor not run good in the sand. That is the only place i have had a chance to see one run and just not impressed with it in the sand guessing the gearing and sand dont go good together anybody has and experince on this and noticed that thier bike dont run as good on sand as it does on pavement or dirt.

Old 01-29-2002, 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You got one thing right, It is heavier for a reason. If you put the bikes side by side you will be amazed that it only ways 65lb more than the Raptor. Everything on the DS is biult to last. Chain,hubs,axle,frame,shocks,A-arms,And more,Everything is literally twice the size than on the Raptor. And thats excactly why I chose the DS when I was in your position 1 year ago.

You would think that because of the weight difference in the Bikes and the riders(DS riders usaully give up 50lb to the Raptor riders)that the Raptor would easily run away from the DS. But It is neck in neck all the time. So good luck choosing, The DS is a specialty biult machine(desert and dunes) the raptor is a Jack of all trades.

P.S. Know one said it was going to be easy.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 01-29-2002, 09:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have seen a women ride a DS, and she should have never been on a quad. Little Story.. We were coming back from the Dunes in walden, Co and I was folowing her on the road back, about 5 miles an hour. Well she tries to do hit the berm all racy like, and not going fast enough, she tips over.. So i ride up and about get a hernia flipping her back over (trying to tip it over up hill) and send her on her way. But instead of going left to follow the rode, she goes up over the berm onto the camping area. Fine, but then she wants back on the rode. so instead of gunning it, she tries to go down this 1 1/2 foot ledge real slow. You guessed it, she starts to tip over again (this is 10 feet later mind you) and to my horror, she actually stays on the bike and starts putting her leg down to hold it. My mind was cringing at the thought of a busted, folded leg, but fortunately, she was not tall enough and her leg just sorta slid under the DS(not landed on). Well this time I ride up and see that she has broke the plastic, spewing coolant, and had a busted headlight(not sure how that happened) As I am helping her right her machine again, I see her hubby or boyfriend running over. Well I could see the look on his face when he saw his brand new(this was early 2001) DS all busted up. I took off, never to see a woman on a DS again! If I ever do, Im running!! Does not really have much to do with th topic at hand, but...

Personally, Id prolly get the DS, but I ride dues, depends on your riding...

RoostKing...

Old 01-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

OH come on now king iv'e met you and know how big your are so let's not lable the ds a big guy's bike only.in fact seeing you on the raptor is like seeing a grizzley with a roller skate stuck up his
R$%#: no seriously guys he's a big guy.and yes he dose make that rappy fly.[sorry king that was uncalled for and im going out to my shop and have my shop hand lash me with a hose]i love it when she dose that!!!

note:im not saying hes fat guy's because he's not realy fat he's just big

Quick Reply: raptor or ds 650!!