Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor or ds 650!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't call me BIGWAYNESTER because I'm fat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I only weigh like 150 and I love the ds[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2002, 11:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So then the only person who calls you bigwaynseter is yourself and your G/F. for your ego [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

RoostKing...

Old 01-29-2002, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

I am 6', 210 lbs. The DS just feels so much better. I like the stability of the longer wheelbase and wider track. The DS shifts better, smoother. Our late 2001 Raptor has had no problems, my DS ate a cooling fan. My son regularly spanks me at drags and whoops. He weighs 90 lbs.
.....IF I had bought a Raptor I would have put +1+2 A-arms on it as well as a +1 swingarm, plus shocks, plus wider axle. That's $2,000.
.....I did put TimmyBoy upper A-arms and Works shocks with rezzies on my DS, that's $800+, and man is it sweet. Sand washes are a big part of our regular riding, too little caster in the stock A-arms is nicely corrected by the totally adjustable, lightweight chrome-moly TimmyBoy uppers.
......My son's Raptor has a wider axle and Works steelers, (no rezzies) that's about $600+.
......We both have 22" rear tires for ground clearance, HMF Quiet Core Slip-ons, nerfs. So add another $600+ for both.
......The Raptor has an obvious weight advantage. My son has an obvious weight advantage too.
......Owning a DS is like owning a Ducati, or a Porsche. It is exotic. It oozes quality, not just another piece of Sushi. The Austrian Rotax engine is a work of art. There is something very special about it.
......Oh and by the way, the silly little front fenders really work. The Raptor throws stuff in your face all the time, especially little tiny rocks, the DS rides clean. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2002, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

dont be fooled by the ds's tuff looks !!!! it has many faults just like every wheeler Ive ever owned . also the ds's part's are stupid exspensive .for exsample the fender braket (thin wire with two bolt holes)$195 WOW lol . I now have a 2002 raptor with about 25 hours on it and it has been flawless exsept for snapping the chain ..with the wheelers that are on the market right know I would probly buy the new z400 the motor is proven and the frame looks to be a copy so it should be a good quad ...

Old 01-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just like every other raptor and DS owner I had to make this decision last October when buying my first quad. I had spent many years riding a 1992 CR250, and coupled with the fact that I mainly do dune riding and the fact that I'm 6'8" and about a pizza slice and a beer away from 300; I decided I was a bit too much for the tempormental CR.

You think 6'8" 300, and you automatically thing DS; hell, I'm probably one of the few people that should be riding that tank, but let me tell you the reasons I chose the Raptor.

#1 Appearance - Now all you motorheads out there may flip out when I say this, but essentially mods on a engine eventually turns into a pissing contest. The fact is if I really wanted to be unbeatable by any bike (not a goal I have), I could do identical mods to who is the fastest and slap on a sneaky peat 15 shot of NO2. Quads are like girls to me, and I had been waiting a long time for the looker that actually had a good inside too. Those fenders and that big bizarre headlight.

#2 Cost - I am lucky enough to know the right people at my local dealership and got one of the first '02's to arrive, without a mark up. I figured if I wanted the '02 DS it would cost me about $2000 more than my raptor, and with that $2000 I could have the suspension worked, set it up with sand tires, and have the same suspension as the DS but without the extra...

#3 Weight - The DS is pushing up on 500lbs, throw in my 300 and you are looking at a friggin locomotive. Weight is bad in the sand, matter of fact it is bad everywhere... I'm not an expert, but I'm sure many people could tell you the HP value of shaving 100lbs off of a 500lb bike.

lastly

#4 Yamaha or Bombardier (sp?) - I have never had a bad experience with Yamaha bikes, watercraft, or their electronics. I figure that they knew what they were doing with this bike, it is what the consumer wanted and it is what they put out. I got the Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) warrenty because it is a new bike and it is nice to know any problems are already taken care of.

Having been to Glamis about 10x this season with the raptor I have only been let down by it once when the battery mysteriously died between consecutive weekend trips. I didn't leave the ignition on over night or anything, but it was covered under warrenty and a pair of jumper cables saved the weekend.

I plan on getting a slip on muffler, jets, and a K&N (w/prefilter), and gearing it down so I can actually pull 5th during those long hauls from Glamis to Gordons.

The bikes are rivals and it is going to be an awesome shootout over the next few years. If you choose the DS... get the Baja. That was an impressive race and you can always use that to win arguments with raptor owners. "Who won the Baja?"

Cheers
Jeff C