Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Arctic Cat Salesman says 'Don't buy the AC 500i'

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was interesting and just wanted to pass it along. . .

I have been talking to an Arctic Cat salesman for some time now off and on. We have gotten into some rather technical discussions, you know . . . 'facts and figures' type of thing.

Well, I asked him for his honest opinion when comparing the 660 Grizzly and the 500i. He flat out told me not to buy the 500i.

According to him, there are too many problems with the machine and too many recalls on it. Apparently there is something wrong with the brake design, it is or soon will be a factory recall. In addition, there seems to be some inherent problem with the ignition system that causes idling problems. AC still hasn't gotten this figured out. There is no 'fix' in sight.

When I told him that I could get the 660 for the same price as his 500i, the 660 was the hands-down choice. According to him, the 660 is in a whole different class of ATV's, above the 500i.

Keep in mind, I am passing on the opinion of this particular salesman.

I have never had a salesman up here in Alaska tell me not to buy his ATV, this was a first. Ussually they are working to get your money. But I really appreciate his honesty.

Sorry I cannot give you guys verification on this information. This salesman made it very clear that he would immediately loose his job if his boss ever found out. So to maintain his confidentiality I can't tell you anything about him.

Old 02-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is a salesman remember, and I've heard more ridiculous stuff from them than I have from people on the forums over the years. YES!!! It was the Honda dealer that claimed the DS650 would run 104mph stock. Even used it as a selling point against Raptors, which had only been out for a month at the time, but he said he had folks coming in right and left to trade them in. I'm not believing much of anything from a dealer whether his job is on the line or not.

Old 02-08-2002, 12:37 AM
The Facility

What I find interesting is that this guy says that there are problems with the Ignition componets on this machine. The electrical parts are the same as that found on the Suzuki Vinson. They even have the same part numbers stamped on them. The Vinson has had no electrical problems.

KNOWSALOT

Old 02-08-2002, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

This salesman must of been a good friend??, I don't see how he is going to put food on the table when he tells his customers not to buy his machines?? My Dad owns a cat and it is a very reilable machine.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:32 AM
Range Rover

I'm not trying to start anything here.

I am only passing information that I was told. Just because it was said doesn't make it 'gospel'. You can believe it, ignore it, file it away, whatever you choose.

An no he's not a good friend. I only know him from a past trip to the Lower '48. We met once in his shop. When I became interested in getting a new ATV I corresponded with him a few times, called etc. So there would be no loyalty to me.

I'm not saying an AC is a 'bad' machine. I was seriously considering purchasing one. I've ridden some of them. There are certain things I really like about their machines.

I guess what I am saying is 'Don't read between the lines. . . There's nothing written there.'