Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

SuperCross Dirt.... Why no dust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went to the Phoenix Supercross race a couple of weeks ago. What fun! I watched the tractors groom the track almost as intently as I watched the race. I have a little Ford tractor with a loader and, you guessed it, built a track and some jumps for the boys. But like everything out here in Adobe land, what little moisture in the ground quickly dried out and the dust got very thick fast. Out come the sprinklers.
.....But there was NO dust, not a smidge, at the Supercross race. Hmmm, what are they doing? Sure, there's a water truck, which I never saw them use. I'm thinking they must have some additive in the soil to retain moisture and keep the dust in the dirt. I mean the roosts would come off those rear wheels and fall straight to the ground. I doubt I will actually do anything, I have less than 10 dollars worth of diesel in this track, and a hose bib is right there, but I would like to know. Anybody?

Old 02-11-2002, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Your right! They use a special chemical to keep the dirt from losing its moisture. Plus they mix the dirt. I dont remember what kind of soil they use but i do remember that it is mostly clay. I had wondered the same thing as you when i watched the supercross in the dome inMN so i asked one of the racers when i was in the pits getting autographs and thats what they told me. I was kinda disapointed when i couldnt talk to mgrath. He had is mechanic handing out presigned posters. Ohwell. One of my favorite racers there was Pistrana and hoffmaster. They were the nicest out of all ofem and they liked to talk.

Old 02-11-2002, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer

Calcium Cloride is the stuff they use. It is also the stuff they put on dirt roads to keep the dust down. You can get it at hardware stores, in 50 lb bags. There are directions on how much to use on the bag.

Old 02-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

We sat real close on saturday during practice and right around a turn carmicael roosted us, i still have the dirt off his rear wheel. Im special now.