Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizz owners PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for a new quad and I just LOVE THE LOOKS AND FEATURES OF THE NEW GRIZZ. But I am a little concerned it just seems like such a big quad. I currently have a Big bear and a Polaris 400 (Two stroke) I just love the feel and the instant power of the 2 stroke Polaris. I ride tight trails and bushy swampy type stuff. The 2 stroke Polaris fly's through the woods and it rarely gets stuck.

I am kinda thinking now the only way to get that spin the tires 2 stroke feel is to go with a Kawasaki 650 but to me it looks ugly the front is okay the back looks like those old Hondas. I am a big Yamaha fan and I really want the Grizz but will I have buyers regret. It looks like a awesome utility machine (the Grizz) But I will use my Big bear for work type stuff. I am looking for a sport machine but I don’t want a raptor my friend has one and all I do is winch him out all the time.

So to all you Grizz owners out there how will the Grizz compare to the 2 stroke Polaris (that spin the tires feel)
And even though I am a DIE-HARD YAMAHA FAN Will I have to bend and Buy a Kawasaki 650 to get the sportier feel
I am not looking for the exact feel of a 2 stroke but is the Grizz sporty will it keep up to that Kawasaki 650 how does it handle in the tight trees

Anyway sorry it is so long. I would appreciate any impute you can provide for me
Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2002, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

CrazyCooter~

Try the Grizz. You will not be dissappointed. I've also rode the Polaris 400 2 stroke, and you will be impressed with the 660 4 stroke. Kawa's got an excellent quad on their hands, but it does have a solid rear axle, so think about which kind of suspension you want. If it's a solid rear, definately go with the Prairie-nothing will touch it in that category, if it's IRS, I think you would be quite impressed with the Grizz, I know that I certainly am. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Old 02-14-2002, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

You will not be dissapointed with the Grizzly, don't be worried about
not having performance like a 400 explorer matter of fact my Grizzly
will smoke a 500 HO in power and handling and ride. The fenders offer
better mud protection the steering is sooooooo light that my seven year old can move the handle bars back and forth with the machine
sitting still.You can't go wrong with a Grizzly hope this helped
your decision.Oh by the way it will throw enough mud and dirt out the
back to cover your buddies.

02 grizzly
01 F-150 Super Crew

Old 02-15-2002, 01:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Silver Bear how much different is the solid axle compared to the IRS. I know the mechanical difference but how does it feel. I know that’s hard to describe (I really got to go ride that grizz) But when you go flying around a corner does it feel like the Grizz is going to flip over or the back end doesn't want to come around.

So if I understood your last post correctly your saying the only difference is the axle or the IRS other then that the Grizz is just as powerful or even more powerful then the Kawasaki. I have a need for speed ha ha ha ha ha ha

Thanks for all your help. I think I am going to buy a grizz. I like your web site your pics are nice. How has that silver been I want that color but if I see that it looks like it gets scratched really easy then I will probably go with the Green. Does your silver really show the scratches how has your plastic been?

Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP

Old 02-15-2002, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

From what I hear, the 660 won't have that instant hookup that the 650 has, but I think its going to hookup as quickly or better than you Polaris. At least the transmission will. I don't think there is any equal to that sudden rush a 2-stroke gives though. In the overall, the 660 will outrun the stock 400L. Everything else has been great too on my 660.

I won't try to dissuade you from a 650 either. It has everything going for it, and the only difference to me is preference of the rear suspension. I wanted IRS myself. The Grizz handles great too, and I will agree with what has been said about the 650 having better handling. I haven't ridden it, but I've read it too many times from too many people not to believe it. However, I don't see it running off and leaving a 660 in any place. It may be better, but I doubt its a night and day difference by any means. In comparison to the 400sportsmans and explorers, I would give the steering advantage to the yamaha. The 400 sportsman suffered from a piece of crap chassis and was not stable in any circumstance. The Explorer was good, but I still think that the newer yamaha design will exhibit better handling characteristics.

Old 02-15-2002, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

CrazyCooter~

I've never had the pleasure of riding the 650, so all I have to base the difference betweeen solid v IRS is, for example, the difference between my wifes Kodiak and my Grizzly. The ride is most likely going to be very comfortable on the prairie. I think the main difference will be if you ride over rough uneven terrain. In those cases, IMHO,IRS will shine over a swing arm or swing axle suspension.

As far as power goes between the two, I believe the Praire 650 is probally snappier and has a tad higher top end. Keep in mind though, the 660 is very snappy, I just think a V-Twin is going to be more so. Again, I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from the Prairie, it's an excellent quad by all counts & I really feel the main deciding factor between the two machines is your personal preference on suspension. Try to test ride them both, you'll be glad you did! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Old 02-15-2002, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

CrazyCooter~

Shoot, forgot to answer, I've had none of those problems with the silver paint flying off if you should sneeze around it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It is holding up very well, I do have some scratches, but hell I'm going to have scratches in anything that I ride. When it gets to the point my **** retentiveness gets the better of me concerning scratches, I'll take it to an auto shop and have it repainted, same color, but with several clear coats to make the job last even longer. I've kinda become partiel to the color now that I've had it a while.

SilverBear

Old 02-15-2002, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks silver bear for responding…. I'm sure that gets annoying all these people coming on and posting Grizz questions over and over again (and they are the same questions give or take) I really appreciate you taking the time to help use possible Gizz owners out

Thanks for all your Help
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

CrazyCooter~

Heck, think nothing of it. That's what these forums are all about. I know when I started posting here, I must have asked several questions that had already been addressed in one way or another, but folks kept answering and helping out. I'm only too happy to be able and return the kindness.

Good luck with your decision and purchase & be sure to let us all know which quad you get.

SilverBear

Old 02-15-2002, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did a little drag-racing last weekend across a field-probably about 2/3 of a mile from start to finish.

Me:6'2", 250#, '02 Griz - stock

My Kid: 6'0", 190+#, 15 yrs. old, '95 Xplorer 400 - stock
His 400 is in great shape-no problem pushing it upwards of 50 miles an hour AND quickly with 2 stroke and chain drive. He's also get a little redneck blood in him that his mother says he got from me-he ain't afraid to throttle it.......

First, we started off side by side-I blew him off the line and he faded from there. After a few times, we decided to go to a standing start with him about 15 yards in front of me. Again, I caught him and passed him within 100 yards.

Finally, I had him take off and told him I would start when he got to a gate about 50 yards in front of us. I also asked him to glance at his speedo when he went thru the gate. I caught him halfway thru the field and again blew his doors off. His speed at the gate was just under 30 miles an hour. We did this a couple of times, and outcome never varied.

We've also done a little trail riding-the Griz absolutely eats up terrain. I rode his Xplorer, too, and it's fine, but doesn't compare. Haven't really tried mud yet, but our feeling is we wish we would've bought him a used Kodiak or something like that. It just doesn't compare to the Griz nor the wife's Vinson for all around riding. It does go fast, and I love 2 strokes, but we're not impressed with it. Local dealer carries Polaris, Yamaha and Kawasaki - the service techs say the Polaris' are ALWAYS in for something. Hopefully we'll have a little better luck than that. But I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Griz-I've done my best to beat it up, and it just asks for more-whether I'm playing or using it for work around the ranch.

Quick Reply: Grizz owners PLEASE READ