Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Opinions on the blaster oil injection system

Old 02-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering other peoples opinions on removing the oil injection system on the blaster. Is there anythng bad about removing it besides the hassle of havin to mix gas and oil everytime?
And if someone has removed it, is it worth it? Do you notice a big power improvement? Anyones info will be appreciated. Thanx

Old 02-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

We removed the oil injection system on my Son's Blaster. If you do this you must also make sure that you plug the hole in the carb where the oil line use to go. Failing to do this will cause a lean condition and possible engine damage.

The magazines are advertising block off kits for about $30, but you can get all the parts you need at your local Yamaha dealer for about $18.

There is no negative side to removing the oil injection system, outside of the gas/oil mixing. The positive things include knowing you can never have a injection pump failure (hardly never happens), plus you don't have to worry about the pump cavitating (air bubble or foreign matter in the line).

There will be no improvement in horsepower. The reasons most people remove the injection system is for racing purposes. With pre-mix, you know you are getting lube to the engine.

Regards,

Rog

Old 02-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

well i just installed on pretty easy.
the motor is still out thou waiting clutches.
but i cant say the injector is a bad thing..yes it runs rich but the piston still looked almost new and this is a 89. maybe it didnt get ridin much i dont know.
but me being cold when i was ripping it apart didnt do the compression check first..so i had it honed and new piston.

the only prob i was having was my son fowling plugs but he just puts around also hes a newbie ,and when i tore it down there was hard oil gunk up in the head and exhaust port. but like i said he puts around so that could of caused that. but i think the block off will help to get rid of the smoking and plug fowling now.. just got to get off my butt and finish it

Old 02-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I used to have a blaster and i had to tear the injection system off. I reccomend that you do it because you aren't always lookin at the oil light and you could ruin the engine if you ride w/out oil. I would reccomend you get the TREANGA block off kit. I got it and it was ez to install.

Old 02-16-2002, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how can you change the hose that comes off the oil pump to the carbuerator it has brass ends on it what do i do

Old 02-17-2002, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, this is how you can block off your oil injection from for about $2. dont waste money on a 30 dollar kit.
>
> 1. Remove the tank, remove the wires and tape them up.
>
> 2. Take off the Oil hose form the tank.
>
> 3. remove the cover in front of the oil injection pump. (platic, where the 2 oil hoses go to)
>
> 4. Inside of the cover remove both hoses. Fill the rubber "holder" with black silicone, (this is the first part of the expence)
>
> 5. Take off the larger hose that went to the tank and place else were. Follow the smaller hose to the carb. Cut that hose apprx. 1.5 inches from the carb.
>
> 6. take a wood screw, (about the size of the hose) and screw it in the the 1.5 inches left from the carb.
>
> 7. Replace the pump cover. Mix your gas from 32-40:1 depending on what type of oil you use.
>
> Many people will say the pump will seize up. Has not done so for me in the past 4 years. Also the screw is still holding strong after 4 years.

I would have to say there is a slight inmprovemt in power. IT runs better and cooler. IT is worth it because you can use higher quality oil and you get a good mixture. Buy a Ratio Right and you mixing worries will be over.