Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor or Banshee???????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were going to buy one which would you choose??????????
I live in Mosheim, Tn and there is mostly mountains. 2 of my friends are fixing to buy raptors but I like a 2 stroke and I am a real aggressive rider so what do you think??????????????

<< If its not wide open your not riding >>

Old 02-17-2002, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

neither.........buy a DS650....all the power your gonna need without the headache of rebuilding ur top end every 150 hrs.......

Old 02-17-2002, 08:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Depends on what kind of riding you do. How much maintanance you want to go through etc. (No fuel mixing etc with a 4 stroke) Stock on stock the Raptor wins. The handling characteristics etc on the Raptor are better (not to say the Banshees are bad). If you ride in California you have to be aware of certain restrictions with 2 strokes in certain areas. Might be the same in some other states, don't know. 4 stroke engines will last you longer. Banshees have a world of after market parts and excessories although the Raptor now has a few of its own. You can see my few mods I've made to my bike and was eating the dust of a fixed up Banshee this weekend. Dragging up semi sandy hills. He had an extended swing arm and toomy pipes with sand tires. Didn't think to ask about any other motor mods, wish i had now. It was the fastest Banshee I've seen, very clean and lots of shinny engine parts, I can only guess on what motor mods he had if any. Either bike to me is a winner.

P.S. This was after I put on the 22&quot; holeshots and before I put on the 12T front sprocket. I made better times up the hill before the new tires and stock sprocket. I'll know the improvments this coming weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2002, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

I would choose the RAPTOR. simply because it looks better and it is my dream quad. I am hopping I will get one in another year.

Old 02-17-2002, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

it depends on your type of riding style. some times because of the easy power delivery of 4strokes you lay off a little and end up ridding slower.2 strokes tend to make more power off less mods but require more care.the raptor tends to be a little tall and needs to be widen up a little.i think that all the sport quads today r good you just have to pick the one that best suites you.think about what you plan to do with the quad most and go from there.-jack

Old 02-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

Unless you ride wide open trails or fields, you will like the Raptor better. The Banshee has no bottom end, is a rush to ride, but the power is one big hit higher up on the power band, also the supension is not up to par, you will want to replace the junk front shocks at a minimum, the rear can be rebuilt into something decent. You will spend less money to get more hp out of the Banshee, but it still is only really good for open area riding.