Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1989 banshee won't run HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get a 89 banshee running I have a good spark , gas ,110 psi in each cylinder, new spark plugs. Also does anybody know what the switch is atached to the top of each carburator is and it's function. Im thinking it's a spark timing problem.

Old 02-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Check your jetting and make sure the floats r not stuck. i have an 89 too and when i got it it was totally misjetted. The switches are for when your throttle gets stuck it will shut off i think. HOPE THIS HELPS. i could be the timing to.

Old 02-26-2002, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Lets talk about the things on the top of the carbs and your spark.

The things on top of the carbs are part of the "TORS" system. TORS stands for Throttle Open Response System. You also have a switch built into your thumb throttle. Idea being if the thumb throttle closes, and both carbs do NOT come back to the full closed position, the TORS system kills the motor.

If your wires aren't hooked up correctly the TORS will allow a little spark, so it looks like good spark, but won't ever allow the quad to start.

Best thing is to do a temp test without the TORS module hooked up.
To disconnect it:
Sitting on the quad, left frame rail up near the gas tank/radiator, there is a little black box maybe 1 inch by 2 inches by 2 inches. It has 3 black wires with some yellow stripes coming out of it. If will be on the opposite side of the the quad from the coil. There should be a a 3 wire molex plug within 6 inches of the box, just unplug that, it kills the entire TORS system.

I have also seen where the wires up to the key weren't connect (if the keys been removed). Once again you'll get a little spark, but the engine won't ever turn over. If the key is removed, the 2 wires that used to hook up to the key MUST be wired together and taped off.

Again both of these problems will show some spark.. been there.. kicked for hours.. and figured these 2 problems out the HARD way.

Hope this helps..

Old 02-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I will try disconecting the plug. I will let you know what happens. No luck still won't start. Thanks anyways. By the way does anybody know the compressoin on this motor