Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor starter clutch exploded ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 07:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my raptor to the shop for what i thought was a bad starter.Ordered a new starter and installed it.Nope it's not the starter,We pulled the side cover off and bearings went every where.It looked like the hair thin spring that holds the bearings on the starter clutch some how broke.And chewed up the starter wheel gear in the mean time.They told me warriors had a problem with this.Has anyone had this problem.All the dealers i talked to said this is a new one for the raptor.
(WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS)

Old 02-26-2002, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

that sounds wierd man, did your raptor give you any signs that the starter cluch was wearing out ? why i ask is when i start mine up and it's cold out the starter makes a clatter sound and slowly goes away in about 10 seconds . i wonder if mine is getting ready to go ?

Old 02-26-2002, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen the exact problem a few times on the raptor. That starter clutch is a joke at best.

Old 02-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Range Rover

no sign at all.one day it run fine and the next time i rode it wouldn't start.hey 720 do you know wath caused the ones you seen.

Old 02-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

You already pointed out the problem. That thin wire spring. It is the same problem on the Warrior. When it lets go, it makes a mess.

Old 02-28-2002, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

My dealer has done two of these same problems under warranty.

Old 02-28-2002, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

pretty sure that's what is going on with mine right now. it just spins sometimes when the button is pushed. finally engaging. a new one-way bearing is $166. my question is: is there an after market bearing? because i don't want to deal with this again. i only want to spend money on making it faster. not fixing a new quad. pay2play huh?

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2002, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

I'VE fix IT
If the starter bearing goes away THEN THE STARTER GEAR IS SHOT
(NEED TO REPLACE THE BIG GEAR )
THE SURFACE THAT THE STARTER BEARING COTACTS GETS SCARDED UP FROM THE
STARTER BEARING TAKING A DUMP.
NEED TO REPLACE THE BIG GEAR AND THE LITTLE ROLLER BEARING THAT THE GEAR RIDES ON
NEED A REAL GOOD PULLER TO GET THE FLYWHEEL OFF IT IS ON THERE REAL TIGHT
ALSO THE NUT HOLDING THE FLY WHELL ON IS TORQUED AT 120 FT LBS
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS E MAIL ME AND I WILL TRY TO ANSWER THEM
GOOD LUCK
STEVE

Old 02-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My 1-way starter clutch bearing has been replaced as well. Yamaha paid for the bearing and I installed it....out of warranty as well. Guys, if your engine is grinding or freewheeling when you hit the starter button, you have problems that NEED to immediately be addressed. WHen that bearing takes a dump, it gets in the oil system and migrates throughout your engine. When I picked my new bearing up, a guy was at the parts counted buying one for a Big Bear.....I thought hmmmmmmmm.....odd that it was in stock since they normally have nothing in stock except "must-have" items.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

My GYT-R billet starter gear cover looks to have much better support, more beef around the bearing & more solid looking lower support & much beefer over all construction. Would this be of any help or is it just for looks? Cause it does look good.

Quick Reply: raptor starter clutch exploded ?