Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]i have 01 raptor & i'm in the process of getting a high compression piston kit installed (wiesco 12-5-1), web cam mid to high, titanium valve springs, ct sonic exhaust, heads ported,hinson clutch,and my transmission undercut.i need some advice on what kind of air box mods i should do? i already have a pro flow intake & a removed air box lid and snorkle, but i still have a stock air box.

Old 02-28-2002, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider

if you are wanting it to pull more air, from what i've seen so far with mine and others your engine is only gonna breathe so much air anyway. without the lid, i'm thinking that should do it. after all that you listed, go with larger aftermarket carbs. just my 2 cents.

Old 02-28-2002, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

i agree with richieroadrash only see if u can get a single carb from someone like edlebrock or trinity racing. u also might try drilling a few holes in the box.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I read before on this site that the titanium valve springs were a bad idea for 4 stroke quad engines.

/NotuRaptor

Old 02-28-2002, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

noturaptor- my i ask why that is???

Old 02-28-2002, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

I would think titanium valve springs would be a must for any kind of aggressive aftermarket cam and high compression piston.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

The stock air box without the lid causes a lot of turbulance But does slightly increase HP But the curve is very irratic (See" Real World Raptor Dyno Test Results&quot Try an after market air box such as the Sparks supercharger box or Greydon Proline I believe they have addressed the turbulance problen.

Bansheeboy2k1, I've heard the single carb is good for torque but kills top end is this true? I've also heard good things about the FCR carbs.

Old 02-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Old 02-28-2002, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

If you are choosing the CT full exhaust setup, they recommend you don't run the lid. Just the Pro Design flange and filter. I don't know if they have done any testing with another type of airbox, but Alan would be able to tell you.

What are the benefits of another airbox if you are keeping the CV carbs? (I understand that if you are going to a single carb, that you will need a different airbox if you want one at all.)

RM

Old 02-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

From the posts that NotuRaptor2 provided a link to:

<< On the springs, sure the stock springs will run BUT I would not run them. They will bounce and do other fun things. Stock springs have an installed height spring pressure of about 35 pounds. With that low pressure, you will have valve bounce. RD is known world wide for making a great product; however, their springs test out at well over 60 pounds at the installed height. Shoot for 50 pounds and you will be good. The RD springs come with Ti retainers that are strong and cut the valve train weight down -- just remember to use the stock split keepers with the Ti retainers >>

<< They will bounce and do other fun things >>

Been there, done that!

I have dropped valves before because the springs where not strong enough and the valves bounced all over. And those where high performance springs but I guess not strong enough or just weakend over 6 months time. I haven't done any motor work to the raptor yet so I don't know about what spring strenght is needed but it's safe to say you would need stronger than stock springs with high tuned motors. I probably will never tear into a motor again to do upgrades, I will only do bolt on's. The maitenance is just not worth it to me anymore.

Quick Reply: advice