Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Does the CT package really deliver 14hp like Dirt Wheels claims? Has anyone done this and seen this much improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 09:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a 02 Raptor this week and one of the reasons is the 14 hp gain from the $500 dollar package from CT. Has anyone done this? A 14hp gain should about throw you off the seat! Thats almost a 50% improvement! I have two 400exs with 13/1 pistons and cam,pipe,fcr but they arent for nothing but racing. I can beat a Raptor ten bike lengths but wonder if the CT piped and jetted/air box modded Raptor will be about as strong. My 400exs should be around 45-48 HP. I want the big motor with trail riding reliablility but also about the same HP as my exs.

Old 03-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

I whole-heartedly believe their claims, as it has made a WORLD of difference with my '01 Raptor. If you don't believe me, listen to this... I ride with dirt bikers, not just quad riders, and one friend that rides an '01 YZ250 rode my CT-pipes Raptor and said, "that is the most powerful four-stroke that I have ever ridden". Another friend that we ride with that has a '01 YZ426 said, "it is almost like riding my 426 on four wheels". Obviously it won't ever have the rev-ability of a 426, but the pipe kit sure lets the Raptor make alot of power. I am at sea-level and on a cold day I would not be surprised if it pushes 50hp. It is worth the money.

Old 03-04-2002, 11:06 AM
Range Rover

Did you do the intake and jet mod too and no air box lid? I am going to get the kit like Dirt wheels or ATV action magazine( I cant remember which one)with the 12 pipe shootout.
How loud id the CT? The magazine said it was the loudest. I dont care if it makes the most power! It would be awesome to have a stock quad with the HP of a extrmely built 400ex. You cant beat cubic inches! I cant wait to get my kit and I will surely go with the CT.
Thanks for the reply

Old 03-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have one. No lid, Pro Design flange with filter, 170/175 jets, bolt on exhaust, 16 discs.

It rocks. I would not be surprised if it pulls 45-50 hp on a dyno, but seat of the pants, it really flies. The raptor will be more narrow, and ride higher than your race EX's, but it should have some major torque. It's a really fun machine now, wheelies in 5th with a good tug.

RM

Old 03-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

Why is one jet 170 and the other 175? Is one carb jetted different than the other? I know nothing about a Raptor as of yet, so forgive me if i am asking a stupid question. Im just curious about the 170/175.(What does it mean) I thought both carbs will run the same main jet? Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

The left carb which is also called the primary carb feeds 2 valves while the right side feeds 3. total of five 5 vavles. This is how many of the early genesis street bikes were set-up. Don't ask me how but it creates a better swirl or explosion that makes the power delivery more like a two stroke.

Old 03-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] THE CT SONIC IS T1TS, THERES NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT! I HAVE ONE ON MY MACHINE AND I LOVE IT. THERES ABSOLUTLY NO REASON WHY YOUR MACHINE WONT BE KNOCKING DOORS AT 50hps (ESPECIALLY AT SEA LEVEL) & IF A GUY IS SHORT ON MONEY, A GRAYDON PROLINE EXHAUST WILL GIVE YOU ABOUT THE SAME GAINS AS THE CT SONIC FOR ABOUT A HUNDRED DOLLARS LESS. HAVE FUN WITH YOUR NEW RAPTOR!

Old 03-04-2002, 05:11 PM
Range Rover

My ct sonic pipe kicks as$!!! The only thing rong with it is it is a little peaky(i like the low end) But maby, i jetted wrong?

Old 03-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have a '02 raptor that was dyno'ed at 45 HP at about 1500 ft phx AZ 70 degrees (hard to believe huh?)with 180/185 jets. Could have dropped down to 180/175 or 175/170 but the dyno charts were VERY nice and rounded 2-5. I believe you get 10-13 hp no doubt,but 18 I believe is stretching it BUT having said that it has beaten piped banshees at glamis (worth the cost alone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ). I believe it now cost $599 for the pipe,header,kn pro flow,adapter,needle&jets and at that price alone it is well worth it. I think advertising is all subjective and EVERYONE from the manufacture to the after market suppliers all bend facts. IMHO with the supertrap discs on the pipe its no louder than any other piped bike, Without the disc's and just the turndown on the end it'll wake the dead ! Not that thats a bad thing but your neighbors will know when you ride.

Old 03-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not a big CT fan but I certainly believe his numbers. The stock Raptor is severly restricted and jetted lean from the factory. He's went to the trouble of putting together a "system", not just a "pipe and hope for the best". Put the CT on your '02 and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just break it in before the install.

Quick Reply: Does the CT package really deliver 14hp like Dirt Wheels claims? Has anyone done this and seen this much improvement?