Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Racing at MX338 Southwick MA

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anybody on these boards races at Southwick. I haven't raced before but would like to start. I know NEATV-MX puts on events at Southwick and Jolly Rodgers, but I'm only interested in the Southwick events.
My questions are who do I need to register with and any other requirements that need to be met. I was looking at the classes and I'm not sure what I'm eligible to race. I have a raptor that is stock displacement. From what I can tell, I would have to race in the open class and I would want class "C" for novice.
Any advice and information that anyone could forward would be greatly appreciated. You guys always are willing to help out a fellow rider and I like to do the same.

Old 03-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Range Rover

I race at Southwick. Planning on doing all of the 8 races for the 2002 season. I did three races in the 2001 season, hit all three tracks last year, ( southwick, walden and jolly rogers). I raced in the open novice (c) class, and did quite well. Place 25th outta 109 riders in the open c class with a stock raptor. http://www.neatv-mx.com/ here is the site for NEATV-MX. download the membership form and send it in. You may also want to give Mark Hallee a call just to chat with him. He is definitely a great person for our sport in New England.
You will also need an AMA or an ATVA card (membership) to race at Southwick and any NEATVMX races. As for additional equipment for your raptor, you will need a tether type kill switch and nerf bars. You will have to put a number plate on the front and back of your quad. And you will have to either remove all the lights (rear one too) or tape them up. I hope that this will help ya out. I will be at the first race at Southwick on April 28. My bike number is #352 and i will be racing in the open (b) ameture and +30 class for the 2002 season. I will be racing with/for Columbia Motor Sports. As a new comer to racing with a raptor, I highly recommend that you start with the open c class. if you are at least 30 years old you can also race in the +30 open class. I also recommend that you go to the Jolly Roger races. That track is the best. High speed type track that is a ton of fun to ride on. I hope this helps ya out.

Old 03-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have raced NEATV-MX for the last three years. I started in the Open C the first year, then moved up to the Open B, and finally the Open A this past year. For this coming year I will race the Open A again.

As for what class...you will only be allowed in the Open class. (unless over 30 then you can also enter the vet class). Reason is your motor size. I prefer the open class because I can race against all other kinds of quads. The 4 stroke class is mostly 400ex, and the 2 stroke class is mostly 250R.

Oh, I would not worry about running more than one class in the beginning. Especially a track like Southwick. It will beat you to death. Not to mention racing is much harder than trail riding or even riding on a practice track.

Jolly is one of favorite tracks. Worth the trip. Fast yet safe track not to mention the owner changes the layout all the time. Where as Southwick (since it is a national) remains the same all the time.

You will need nefs, kill switch and numbers. Along with a ATVA/AMA membership, NEATVA memebership which you can get at the track. I would sign up early, because the lines at Southwick can be very long if you get there before 8 and 9 am. Also you will need to remove your lights, and pass safety inspection. Basically that means your machine will be checked for the above and in working order. Brakes etc. You would be surprised at what people show up with to race. No common sense.

Old 03-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Range Rover

Thanks buddy,

I did some ice racing this year so I've got all the safety requirements and the AMA membership. I also have your number written down from a previous post. I was going to look you up at the races because you were talking about you Sparks motor kit and I wanted to check it out. I'll definitely have to keep an eye out and thanks for the info always appreciated.

derek

Old 03-08-2002, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

here is the website for neatv-mx

http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/neatvmx/