Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor tranny....Time to make yamaha pay

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, Here is some information on how stupid a dealer can be.....

First of all, my raptor's tranny went while it was under warrenty( dogs broke off 2nd gear), so, i bring the quad in for a warrenty repair(big mistake was i diden't buy the quad from them). so, my raptor had about a month before the warrenty expired, it sat at my dealer for three months then i call them and ask if it's done,and say: we never got the "OK"! so, i say fine, take it apart and see if it is covered. My "dealer" told me yamaha would pay to have it taken apart. They take it apart, and call me and say it's not covered! they said i hit a rock, and 2nd gear, the shift fork, and 4th gear went. So, i say ok, if i have them fix it, i am sure i can get yamaha to pay for it when i get the parts. So, i get the bill about 1 month later $1500!!!
I paid the bill and took it home, looking at the slip i saw they charged me 17 hrs of labor....$1100!!! Now, how many hours does it take to just PUT THE GEARS IN??? 2+ days? anyhow, i see there in my parts slip they put a new piston in it....they told me they dropped the ond one, and charged me $80 for it!! anyhow....So i take my raptor out for a ride, 5 minuites into the ride the engine gives out a "pop" and guess what...no compression, i bring it back to the dealer...they take 2 weeks to fix it, i say finally!!! i am ready to sell this POS, I start it up for the first time, i see a puff of smoke, and say...oh! it's just because it isn't broken in!......So, i broke it in for like 10 hours. i leave it not running for 2 days, so then i go out and start her up....what do you know!!! A smoke cloud so big i coulden't even see the quad even though i was sitting on it....Gee, maby someone dosen't know how to install valve seals???.....I call yamaha and demand a refund for my repair bill, and they give me crap saying my "dealer" says it was my "shifting habits" and the dealer is there eyes and ears. He basically told me to screw.
Ok, now 4 months later....I have been very careful with shifting..I never missed a gear, always used a clutch( in fact i installed a new barnett because the old one was dragging. I get the quad maby 25 feet from my truck, and suddenly the engine goes like i am trying to drive with the rear brakes locked up....SO, i pull in the clutch and roll to a stop...I try to take off again, and it's like i have the rear tires locked up...WTF!! SO, i try and shift some gears...3rd gear is neutral, 1st is reverse..The only gear the quad will move in is reverse. As I type, my quad is sitting in my garage, and this time i am getting a lawyer. I am not paying 1500 TWICE!!! This time i will do the gears my self, but i want my initial 1500 back. I'll buy the damn fortin gears for 800 if i have to, but for 1500 the tranny shoulden't brake in 4 months!!! IF anyone would like to help, or get in on the lawsuit, please reply. Thanks

Old 03-08-2002, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

that really sucvks, if sucking were people theyed be china!!!!!! I really hope the lawyer does the trick id go for more to cover the lawyer cost!!!

Old 03-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You definatly got a lemon. And an even worse dealer that worked on it the first time. Ive seen you slamming the Raptor before. I certainly can understand your frustrations. The intent of Yamaha and the Raptor was excellent, its a great quad, the best IMO. Your experience certainly isn't the norm. I hope you get all your money back and then some.

Old 03-08-2002, 11:43 PM
The Facility

WreckRaptor, you got screwed big time. i have heard a few horror stories from customers before, but nothing like what you just described. First of all, you need to check with how long your dealer's labor warranty is on repairs.
Some dealers don't have one at all, but most dealers have a 6 month 50/50 warranty where if anything happens to something they repaired within 6 months, you and the dealer split the cost. However, with what you have already been through, I don't know if I would pay half even if they offered.

One big thing going in your favor here is something that applies to ALL Yamaha dealers. ALL Yamaha parts are backed by a 6 month warranty against defects and craftsmenship. Unless your dealer totally corrupted your service record within Yamaha, you should at least be able to get the parts themselves replaced free. The drawback here is that the warranty on the parts doesn't cover the labor to replace them, even if it was done by an authorized Yamaha dealer. That issue is between you and your dealer only.

Something you might want to use in your case for being re-imbursed on your initial breakdown was the fact that the machine's warranty expired while in their shop for the repair. Regardless of whether he was your dealer who sold you the bike doesn't matter. You should have a copy of the original repair order ticket that shows the date in which the machine was brought in. This is only if you can proove that hitting a rock didn't cause the transmission failure. Do any engine cases show up on the list of parts that were replaced? If not, their claim doesn't stand a chance in hell of holding up.

I don't usually back up people wanting to sue OEMs or dealers for little stupid petty matters. If it wasn't for the apparent ignorance of this dealer you refer to, I wouldn't back this one up either, but like I said before, You were screwed by this dealer big time. Fill out a complaint form with your Better Business Bureau and report these guys before they take advantage of someone else.

17 hours labor?? Ridiculous. Good luck

Old 03-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

I heard a rumor about Yamaha....
I have a better chance of getting Yamaha to fix my tranny(DS650) for free than the Average Raptor rider without money for a lawyer?? I think they would rather fix a Ds trans than a Raptor.

Old 03-09-2002, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

Good point, except that my dealer totally screwed me over with yamaha, they told them how my quad was beat to Sh&* and that my plastics were falling off, ect so yamaha now thinks i beat the hell out of the quad, the rep at yamaha told me so. he also told me quote "i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place".
They said i have no way of getting my money back because the dealer told them i beat the quad into the ground. Don't get me wrong, it is the best quad i've ever ridden, if the tranny would hold togther, it would be perfect.
Also, i do have the parts list, and the broken gears (and soon to have another set.

Old 03-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Yamaha/USA 1-800-962-7926 It's the first step you need to take. Be polite, don't yell, be mature. Never admit abuse or any wrong doing. My quad was fixed in two weeks and USA/Yamaha paid for the parts. I brought it to a dealer who I didn't even by my quad from. I was quoted 3.5 hrs labor for complete teardown and reassemble. I said thats's it. They said that's what the Yamaha manual says thats what we charge. 60 bucks an hr so I flipped the labor bill of 210. Yamaha would not pay for labor. I'm not happy my trany went out, but the dealer was outstanding and I am very pleased. I feel for you man. Mine is for sale soon. Can't keep something you can't trust, kind of like a girlfriend.... hahahah