Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tires for the Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried the 489 XT's on the Wolverine.......this is one of the few tire sizes offered that will replace the OEM tires on the Wolverine...............would like to know if anyone has tried these tires on thier Quad.

Old 03-10-2002, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

There is bound to be somehere with some 489's

Old 03-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

I was loooking into some bearclaws for my Wolvy, in 25x8 and 25x10....just bigger, not wider. I plan on selling now, so I haven't really checked around since last summer

Old 03-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

I put a set of 25" Dunlops on my Wolverine, and I think it's the best single improvment you can do to the Wolverine. It will easilt pull the bigger tires, though I would be careful about going with a heavy mud tire. I think performance would suffer.

I have been thinking about going with a set of Dirt Devils. They're pretty aggressive, and pretty light.

Old 03-13-2002, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt,
I have also been thinking of getting the 489's stock size for my Wolv. I talked to a guy that does all of my service work on my Wolv and he has had 3 Wolves with many different sets of tires and he still thinks the stock tires are the best for handling if they wouldn’t get flats so easily. He did have the 489’s in 25” and said that the Wolv wanted to bicycle on him a lot because the traction was so good. I agree with him that the handling of the Wolv is great with the stock tires. I have rode a Wolv with the 25” Dirt Devils and I just liked the way mine handled through the woods a lot better it felt really heavy and not as quick turning with the bigger more aggressive tires. He has the 25” Dirt Devils on his now but he still likes the way a stock tire rides. Oh and by the way we don’t do a bunch of mud riding just fast trails. My Wolv cost too much to through it in a mud hole. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I am think of going with a new set of wheels too. Probably not Aluminum they are a little costly. So if any one has any stock wheels they want to get rid of let me know. If I get them before you do I will let you know how I like them and if you get them let me know. I have also heard some one is making a 24” wheel that fits the stock rims not for sure who it is though if you find out let me know it might be worth looking into.

Old 03-13-2002, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

I run the 23x10 489 XT's on all four corners of my Wolverine and so far they are the best tires I have run. They are very stiff (6 ply) and offer good traction in the mud and hardpack. Since they are so stiff, they do not "roll" in the corners and allow for better broadslides.

I have tried to run 25's of many different varieties and the Wolverine just does not ride/handle/pull them as well as it does with the 23's. I do like running the 10" wide tire up front as it helps protect my front rims a little better.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

AirWolf,
Does it turn any harder with the 10" tires on the front. And do you have a pic of it.

Old 03-15-2002, 12:24 AM
GTH
Weekend Warrior

Airwolf,
One thing I dont like about the wolvy is I am always looking for 6th gear. Does the 23's make this much worse?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

I had some 25x8x12 front and 25x10x12 rear blackwaters on ITP magnum wheels on the wolverine that I just sold. I liked the stiffer sidewall, but those tires were way too heavy!! Even with the lighter aluminum wheels, my power suffered when it came to long hillclimbs. With the taller tires, you do gain some top end speed, but not enough, because I was always looking for a 6th gear too. I met a guy riding in Idaho who had the 23" 489's on his bike. He liked them. Both of us had pipes on our bikes, and he had a web cam in his. You're not going to get more top end, but dang...he pulled away from me on the trails with no problem. I think that a stiffer side-wall (4 or 6 ply) 23" tire is the way to go. Get yourself a pipe (I had the FMF Megamax II). And get the White Brother's Torque Valve. It's a $20 venturi nozzle that slips into your headpipe. It was well worth the 20 bucks, and the half hour it took to install. Gobs of low end torque. The venturi nozzle helps create a vacuum that sucks out exhaust gases right where the head pipe connects to the cylinder head. Trust me...it really works. They only make this part for Warriors and Wolverines.

Old 03-15-2002, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer

25" Maxxis Alltracs are a good compromise because they are fairly stiff, not too heavy, and nowhere near the advertised 25". I put them on mine a couple of years ago & have yet to find something I'd like better. Big knobbies good for mud & hardpack.

Quick Reply: Tires for the Wolverine