Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lowering a Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 02:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to lower my Raptor in the rear. Getting ready to race and with a limited budget I need to know what people have found to work good. I can't use my ice racing trick of a tie down on the grab bar unfortunately.
Was wondering what you guys have done. How much difference in height have you gained with how much compensation in suspension travel. I see that TCS makes a shock that they say lowers the rear up to two inches, but does that make a two inch decrease in shock stroke. I've heard of some linkage systems that supposively do not adversely affect suspension travel. Just looking to get some good input from those who have some different setups and see what the results good or bad are. Thanks for any help guys.

Old 03-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Durablue makes front and rear lowering kits for the Raptor that are relitavely inexpensive (compared to the alternatives).

Old 03-13-2002, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

Flip your rear shock linkage, that will lower your raptor 1 to 2 inches
(somthing like that) and your travel will stay the same.

Old 03-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

<< Flip your rear shock linkage, that will lower your raptor 1 to 2 inches >>

yeah, but just don't try to jump it like that cuz it will bottom out. Atleast this is what I've heard, check some of the previous posts about this topic.

Old 03-13-2002, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

flipping the linkage does lower it, but you will bottom out way too soon. I just put the durablue lowering kit (rear) on mine, and it does handle much better, but durablue never seems to think people need instruction sheets (didnt get one with my axle either). turns out the lowering kit did not work with my skid plate so I had to cut out some holes for it to work, then my first time out the &quot;lock nuts--&gt;that dont&quot; came loose, so I had to use locktite on them, I still have no idea how much lower i am than stock. so the product isnt bad the company has some issues

Old 03-14-2002, 08:01 PM
Range Rover

That's interesting to hear. But do think you compromised suspension travel. Are you running a stock rear shock? One of the tracks in our circuit has a ton of jumps supercross style so I need to have travel. The other track is very motorcross style with very little jumps. I've heard of flipping over the rear linkage but I wonder the durability about it. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

My special &quot;Locknut&quot; On my durablue axle keeps coming loose. After I ride, I can turn the entire essembly with my hand. Any suggestions on tightening it? Ohh yea, and I don't know if the axle is backwards or not, the splines were the same on both sides, I think . . ?

Old 03-15-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know what the deal is with the lock-nuts coming loose. I've been running mine for a while now and I never had a problem. Are you guys sure your C-clip is in there and the lock-screw on the nut is tight? The lock nut should tighten all the way up to the c-clip and then tighten your lock-screw. The only way I can see it coming loose is if you are not spinning your lock nut to expand and put pressure against the c-clip.

Old 03-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

poor design on that locknut, if you look at the small hex screw carefully you see it is completly threaded so it snugs up on the outside before it can pull the ring tight, I had them send me a new one, pinched the ring a little bit closed then used the new screw with locktite to lock it in place, hasnt come loose since

Old 03-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

My son's Raptor has the linkage flipped and a durablue eliminator axle. He jumps quite a bit, which makes everything come loose. He only weighs 90 lbs so he doesn't bottom out. We lowered it to compensate for the 22&quot; Razrs, which give it much needed ground clearance. I haven't heard anybody flipping the 2002 linkage, or if you can. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Lowering a Raptor