Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 Grizzly seems tippy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 02 Grizz in January and it's been great. But I noticed it's really tippy in the corners at high speeds. I tried my friends 500 Sportsmen and it handels the corners way better. Of course the Grizz is better at everything else. I ordered Moose wheel spacers for $120 and after looking at them for about 5 seconds I relized they were a bad joke and never put them on. Has anyone found the same problem with the Grizz and if you did have you had any luck correcting it?
PS
I've tried all five positions on the spring ajustment.

jc

Old 03-15-2002, 12:32 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Does the grizzly have rear stabilizer bar attacted to the rear links?
I see you have a KDX 220. I had a 97 220 for 3.5 years, great bike, nice low end and never left me stranded. Last summer purchased KDX 200, Less low end, just has more on the top, very good value for the money.
Chet

Old 03-15-2002, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Raptory,

The stabilizer bars are still attached.

The KDX220 is a fun bike, I always had motorcross bikes before this one. When I first got it I was really disappointed, but after changing over to the FMF exhaust it came to life.

Now if I could just get the Grizz to handle a little better I'd be all set. If the springs are set soft there is to much roll, when you get up to the 4th click the rocks get really harsh. It almost feels like the disstance between the wheels is to narrow. But like I said one look at the wheel spacers and you could tell that was not the way to go!

jc

Old 03-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Highlifter ,,has wheel spacers,, machined aluminum,, look a lot stronger that the other spacers...

Old 03-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I just sold our new Grizz to a friend whom it suits perfectly. It is a good quad, but it is tippy and has a high center of Gravity. I widened ours with Douglas wheels, a very good solution. The stock wheels are extremely inset. Spidertrax 25"x12.5"x12" tires in the rear and moving the stock rear tires to the front made it handle corners pretty well, and it powerslides in 2wd just fine. I would never put taller tires on this rig, it is way too top heavy for that. Straight line mud guys can do what they want.
.... WE rolled the Grizz day one, so I widened it up. Then my friend went *** over tincups, right over the bars, with the Grizz rear rack right after him. He got a concussion and a cracked rib. It was his fault, going too fast, he locked up the brakes in a 4 wheel slide going around a corner, then, BAM, the front tires GRABBED, and over it went. I concluded that we just ride too fast for this kind of quad, and the Grizz has the power, but not the handling to go with it. I've had two Sportsmans, one an H.O. and though they were gutless, they both handled better than the Grizz. I thought I would get a Rincon, but then decided we had enough quads, but not enough truck to pull them, so I ordered a new Super Duty V-10. I just sold a sailboat too, my last obsession, so thought I would roll them both over into a new truck.
.....The Grizzly's handling could be improved with some modifications to the steering geometry. I think it could use more caster, which is noticable especially in sand. The Grizz was always squirrly at speed in sandwashes, a sure sign of too little caster. But this is difficult to change. Also, the steering ratio is too much. Notice how the bars turn more than the front tires do. This is easily changed at either end of the tie rods, but I never tried. A little more steering effort would help some.
.... Also a full set of Spidertrax instead of just the rears would help, the stock tires were chosen for their light weight and no other reason, they are crap. Go with the 9.5" wide front tires on the Douglas wheels.
You have to run the Douglas rear wheels with the valve stem on the inside or it is too wide. I think it was 50" wide with the Spidertrax and Douglas wheels in the rear. Only Superswamper and Spidertrax have 12" tires on 12" rims that are only 25" tall. Both are good tires.

Old 03-16-2002, 12:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its tippy because it is narrow I believe rather than tall. The tall aspect is mainly because of the high front plastic. There isn't much weight there though in reality.

It is very narrow though. The only thing I could think of to fix it is with wheel spacers or aftermarket rims. ITPs will make it a lot more stable. Or you could go the all out Fourlix route and make it a wide track with some Douglas. I've got 12" rear tires on ITP steel (regular offset), and its a lot wider and a lot more stable.

Old 03-17-2002, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

I ride mine fast, and I dont think it's tippy.
I also had a rancher, and a blaster.